Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] FOCUS datasource

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] FOCUS datasource
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hello all,

I'm transferring a FOCUS datasource (with 6 segments, all SEGTYPE S0? with all parents the previous segment) into an Oracle database. I'm trying to work out if I can see within the datasource the relationship between the segments, ie a key so I can see which entry in a segment is related to its parent, any ideas?

Cordialement

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WF 8201, Windows Server 2012 R2, SQL Server 2014, HTML, PDF, Excel, Powerpoint, Active Report

Posts: 34 | Location: All over Europe | Registered: October 23, 2009Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
try using
CHECK FILE [MAS FILE NAME] PICTURE

E.g. CHECK FILE CAR PICTURE

WF 8.2.04
Windows/Unix
All Formats
In Focus since 2006

Posts: 74 | Location: UK | Registered: September 17, 2018Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Addy, useful but maybe I can explain a bit more with an eg

FILE=TEST, SUFFIX=FOC
SEGNAME=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S01
FIELDNAME=TEAM, E01, A20, $
FIELDNAME=MASCOT, E02, A20, $
SEGNAME=SEG02, SEGTYPE=S01, PARENT=SEG01
FIELDNAME=PLAYER_NAME, E03, A20, $
FIELDNAME=FAVOURITE_COLOUR, E04, A20, $

SEG01
LIVERPOOL MANU

SEG02
DALGLISH GROBELAAR HUGHES

So, I want to export the two segments as separate tables into our database.

is there any information in the foc datasource that I can use to show the link that Dalglish and Grobelaar play for Liverpool, ie a foreign key linking the segments.
I can choose the two fields PLAYER_NAME and MASCOT in a TABLE FILE and export the table combined and then normalize it, creating keys in the process, which is fine.
But if there is a foreign key in the foc datasource I can use linking segments(it must exist somewhere) it might be useful to me.
In asking this question I may be showing my misunderstanding of the foc datasource and any advice / correction appreciated.

Cordialement

WF 8201, Windows Server 2012 R2, SQL Server 2014, HTML, PDF, Excel, Powerpoint, Active Report

Posts: 34 | Location: All over Europe | Registered: October 23, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Otto,

Seg02 would need to contain the key for the parent segment as the foreign key.

In a FOCUS multisegment datasource, the links between segments are held internally. So if you want to mimic or transfer this to another DBMS then you need (as you thought) to take the parent key and add it to the child table as a foreign key.

Good luck!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Thanks very much for your help, it makes sense to me now.

Cordialement

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Otto,
May be this can help.
It gives lost of info about the data source.

CHECK FILE CAR ON TABLE HOLD AS CAR_META

TABLE FILE CAR_META
PRINT
END

WF 8.2.04
Windows/Unix
All Formats
In Focus since 2006

Posts: 74 | Location: UK | Registered: September 17, 2018Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Addy,

Thanks very much, that looks useful, I didn't realise I could run that query and investigate the output of the structure in a table format like that.

Cordialement