Focal Point
Self service or Servlet Mode

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5141076512

February 28, 2007, 03:05 PM
GeorgeMeng
Self service or Servlet Mode
Hi All,

I am new to IBI world.
When I look around in this board, some people's environment is Servlet Mode while some other people using Self service.

What is the difference of the two?

Thanks very much!

George

WebFocus Developer Studio 7.6.0/BW 3.5/Servlet mode
February 28, 2007, 04:03 PM
mgrackin
George,

Welcome to the IBI world. You are actually comparing apples to oranges. Self Serv mode is a different animal from Servlet mode.

There are three modes that process WebFOCUS requests:

CGI, ISAPI (Windows) and Servlet Mode

The mode determines what part of the WebFOCUS Client will service requests. This is a very simplified answer. This really has to do with how WebFOCUS works with the Web Server.

Self Service is a type of application. This would be compared to MRE (Managed Reporting Environment) which requires a login whereas Self Service does not.

You can create a Self Service application that sends report request to WebFOCUS in any of the three modes.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011
February 28, 2007, 04:04 PM
Francis Mariani
Actually, those are two different subject areas.

WebFOCUS can be called via CGI or via Servlet.

WebFOCUS can be Self-Service or in the Managed Reporting Environment (MRE).

Do you have a more specific question we can help you with?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
February 28, 2007, 04:05 PM
Francis Mariani
There you go - Mickey has said it better than me Smiler

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
February 28, 2007, 04:21 PM
BlueZone
Welcome George.
To extend Mickey's comments, the main difference between (Self-serv apps) vs (MRE/Dasboard) is the licensing issue.

You can have a slew of self-serv apps designed for Run-Only users. But MRE/Dashboard access is limited to the number of seats you purchase, when you set up your contract with IBI.

CGI/Servlet/ISAPI are the underlying technologies used to communicate with the webserver.

Hope that helps,
Sandeep Mamidenna.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music
February 28, 2007, 04:22 PM
GeorgeMeng
Thank you all.

Although I am not quite understand the answer. Time and you all will help me step forward.

This is a very nice board!

George

WebFocus Developer Studio 7.6.0/BW 3.5/Servlet mode
February 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
susannah
George, to add more...
self serv means your interface is your own,
you code your own hmtl launchpages, they sit in the inetpub/wwwroot (if you are on a windows server) and your launch pages have forms whose action is the call to the webfocus cgi.
(whichever of the 3 engines you want, cgi, servlet, or isapi; moi, i like isapi where possible, and servlet where necessary).
With self serv, you can still use MRE, you can build and manage all your fexes in your MRE domains..i love this model..MRE organizes stuff so well ).
With self serv, the whole java layer isn't involved...no dashboard, no end users coming in via MRE.
Your sign in and authentication can use IWA, or whatever you want.
So, self-serve is a 'roll your own', with your choice of engines;
and MRE/Dashboard is going to be servlet only, with alot of really nice out-of-the-box functionality.
You can do both, you don't have to pick just one.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID