Focal Point
Using the CGI to generate reports

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5161086651

March 01, 2006, 10:36 AM
reFOCUSing
Using the CGI to generate reports
We are going to install the WebFOCUS 7 server on 'Linux Kernel-2 4 21 and up x86 64 64bit' but there is no client. So I was wonder if you could run reports from the server's ibiweb.exe? Do I really need the client to run reports from a self-serve application?

I have changed the cgi-bin/ibi_cgi setting in Tomcat to point to /ibi/srv71/wfs/web/cgi instead of /ibi/WebFOCUS71/client71/wfc/web/cgi on my Windows environment but no luck. Are there other things I need to change?
March 01, 2006, 10:54 AM
dhagen
You cannot run external requests from the servers cgi. The servers cgi is for the server console operator to execute request from the console and for the console. I would suggest that you use your tomcat servlet environment as the client for the server. This is called a split tier configuration, and the WebFOCUS install documentation will explain how to set this up properly.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
March 01, 2006, 11:36 AM
reFOCUSing
Unless I'm missing something but to my understanding with split tier configuration you need two machines. We only have one so does that mean I'm SOL.
March 01, 2006, 12:01 PM
dhagen
Your question gave me the wrong impression. So, I gotta ask, why are you trying to use the server cgi if you already have a client available?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
March 01, 2006, 12:05 PM
reFOCUSing
For the Linux machine we are going to install on there is no client. On my local machine I have the client installed and I'm just testing on it before we install on the Linux machine.
March 01, 2006, 12:13 PM
dhagen
Looks to me like SOL unless you plan on putting a client somewhere in your environment.

March 06, 2006, 04:51 PM
reFOCUSing
After talking to the people at techsupport it looks like the 32 bit client will work on a 64 bit machine.
March 07, 2006, 05:49 AM
<JG>
On a number of platforms where both 32 and 64 bit versions exist there is only a 32 on 64 WebFocus server.
For those environments where 32 on 64 WebFocus clients do not exist you should use the 32 bit version of the client.

This is quite normal as generally the client components do not interact at operating system level which is where the
32 on 64 is needed.

However you must make sure that you have the correct JAVA version for the operating system.