Focal Point
Version Control

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5251048331

March 29, 2005, 11:20 AM
CHERI
Version Control
Just wondering if anyone uses any kind of version control with their focexecs ? Normally, we just overlay the previous code and if there is a problem then restore the original focexec from tape. Is anyone doing anything different that they can share ?
March 29, 2005, 11:47 AM
Boogarweed
We are doing basically the same thing. But have investigated the use of Source Safe. We use Source Safe with other code but not WebFOCUS at this time. At the last Summit IBI said they were building in some type of source code control. I don't know if it's coming in version 7 or some other rev. I know I didn't help much but I had to tell you what I heard.
March 29, 2005, 01:25 PM
Carol Dobson
We use Merant Version Manager PVCS against WebFOCUS 5.2.8 It creates another step for updating modules but provides a safety net.
March 29, 2005, 01:47 PM
reFOCUSing
We are using Eclipse to do our version control. You use Eclipse to check in and out the fex and Dev Studio is used to make the changes. Then at the end of each day a program is ran to update the production area with the latest fex.
March 29, 2005, 02:44 PM
CHERI
Thanks CurtisA.
What type of program is ran to update the code to production. Is this something you wrote ?
March 29, 2005, 03:24 PM
reFOCUSing
I did not write the program that updates the production area, one of our UNIX programers wrote it. To my understanding all it does is overwrites the files that has been changed during the day.
March 29, 2005, 04:03 PM
<ganeshsiddhamalli>
Guys you can use microsoft visual source safe maintained ina source safe database and have prod server get the code from that sourcesafe database , its really easy right why you guys dint try it .
March 30, 2005, 06:01 AM
Håkan
We use Microsoft Visual Source Safe. It means an extra step, but I think it's worth it.
March 30, 2005, 11:25 AM
j.gross
What does it take to set up Microsoft Visual Source Safe and integrate it into the development and production environment?
March 30, 2005, 11:36 AM
Håkan
The installation is pretty straight forward and it's actually rather easy to use. Once you check in your objects into the vss db the source files become read-only. Remember that you have to develop on your localhost, you can't use remote servers (at least not in 5.2).