Focal Point
[CLOSED] Parts of HTML Page Created with Composer (Layout)

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/528103702

August 12, 2009, 12:47 PM
Dan Pinault
[CLOSED] Parts of HTML Page Created with Composer (Layout)
Hi,

Please help me understand the various parts of an HTML page created with the Composer tool.
This is how I understand it...

Inside the BODY tag is a SELECT item which represents a listbox. This SELECT element is assigned a persistentuniqueid="compUid_1". I assume this is required to render the listbox in the browser.

Also inside the BODY tag is an INPUT item which represents a submit button. This INPUT element has an attribute - requests_list="0". I assume this causes requestid="0" to be executed when the button is pressed.

Inside the XML section is a REQUEST which represents a call to a fex. This REQUEST element is assigned a requestid="0".

Also inside the XML section is a VARIABLE which is given the same NAME as the SELECT element. This VARIABLE has an attribute - from="compUid_1". I assume this ties the VARIABLE to the SELECT element. This VARIABLE also has an attribute - requestid="0". I assume this ties the VARIABLE to a specific REQUEST.

Lastly, inside the XML section is an INPUT_CONTROL which is also given the same name as the VARIABLE and SELECT elements. This INPUT_CONTROL has an attribute - bindcontrolid="compUid_1". I assume this ties the INPUT_CONTROL to one or both of the other elements but i don't know which.

Here are my questions...
Are the VARIABLE and INPUT_CONTROL redundant? Is the VARIABLE left over from an earlier version? I don't see a requestid attribute for the INPUT_CONTROL so I am guessing they are both needed.

The INPUT_CONTROL appears to have everything it needs to populate the listbox so why does the VARIABLE have attributes like file="masterfile.mas" or datafield="fieldname" or datasource="masterfile.mas"? If I edit the HTML page and change the procedure code for one of the INPUT_CONTROLs to point to a different data source the INPUT_CONTROL value changes but the VARIABLE still has file="OLDmasterfile.mas" and datasource="OLDmasterfile.mas". I'm not exactly certain which datasource is being used but it doen not appear to be affecting performance.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.
August 20, 2009, 04:33 PM
Kerry
Hi Dan,

For the details that comprise the pages created by Composer, you may want to open a case with techsupport and have them verify the internals.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.