Focal Point
Focus Hold File Size

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5291022342

August 22, 2007, 03:13 PM
ADONG
Focus Hold File Size
All,

I was trying to create a hold file which is really big. It crashes all the time. Is there a limit in hold file size? I was replicating one of our biggest table. I need this granular table to build up my rollup reports.

I really appreciate any suggestions and help.

Maggie
August 22, 2007, 03:26 PM
Francis Mariani
What platform, what version?

Take a look at this:

Friendly reminder: Please update your signatures

Cheers.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
August 22, 2007, 03:34 PM
ADONG
Windows XP. Version 716.
August 22, 2007, 03:36 PM
Darin Lee
Don't know if there's a limit on the hold file size, but if it's crashing (as opposed to giving you a Focus error message), you're probably using up the allocated disk space and/or memory and it's causing the crash. Hard to get more specific without platform info as Francis mentioned.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
August 22, 2007, 03:49 PM
FrankDutch
Maggie

Does your process work if you create just a small holdfile by limiting the number of records processed to 100?

BTW updating your signature is more than just mailing it.
Take a look at your profile settings.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

August 22, 2007, 03:49 PM
Francis Mariani
Is your HOLD file a FOCUS DB? You may be reaching a limit. What RDBMS are you using? Perhaps you can create temporary tables instead of WF HOLD files.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
August 22, 2007, 03:50 PM
FrankDutch
quote:
Originally posted by Darin Lee:
Don't know if there's a limit on the hold file size, but if it's crashing (as opposed to giving you a Focus error message), you're probably using up the allocated disk space and/or memory and it's causing the crash. Hard to get more specific without platform info as Francis mentioned.

What is your platform Darin....

upgrade your signature please

LOL

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

August 22, 2007, 04:09 PM
Darin Lee
It's not in my signature (it's quite lengthy) , but it IS in my profile. Smiler

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
August 23, 2007, 08:02 AM
Brian Suter
1.Good suggestion to try small record count to make sure it is only the size. Does it run awhile before it dies.
2.Run in edastart -t and see in your temp disk space is filled (/bin directory).
3.Run with SAVEDIAG and sent to techsupport. (If you want to be hardcore, look at the traceback printed in edaprint. Sometimes the routine names make sense and you can guess what agent was doing when it crashed. But that is really something for techsupport to do).

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development