Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Static Budget Number...How do I create this?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Static Budget Number...How do I create this?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a budget/actuals report I want to create in Webfocus but I am wondering how to I create my static budget numbers in the report?

Do I use a define or something? I tried searching in WF help and here on the forum.

Rob M.
Target Corporation

WF 7.1.4

Posts: 73 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: August 08, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Exactly what do you mean by static budget numbers? Does your source file have the actual and budget amount fields in it? Are you wanting to put a 'line number' on each line of the report?

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I just want to be able to hard code a budget number for each region into the report somewhere. The budget number does not exist in any data source.

Rob M.
Target Corporation

WF 7.1.4

Posts: 73 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: August 08, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I just figured it out, used a compute to create the budget field.

COMPUTE BUDGET/D6CM = IF REGION EQ '100' THEN 239400 ELSE IF REGION EQ '200' THEN 191520 ELSE IF REGION EQ '300' THEN 191520 ELSE IF REGION EQ '400' THEN 175560 ELSE 0;

Rob M.
Target Corporation

WF 7.1.4

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
that works fine. To decrease code, you could use a DECODE:

COMPUTE BUDGET/D6CM = DECODE REGION('100' 39400 '200' 191520 '300' 191520 '400' 175560 ELSE 0);

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You realize that by doing it this way you (or someone) is going to have to remember to change the program every time the budget changes. I would recommend that you put the data in a file and join to it.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I had that thought as well, but refrained from saying anything because I am guilty as well. Sometimes that's just the quickest way so Pat's comment is probably the correct/best way, but I'm not condemning Rob without knowing his whole process. (I know you're not either, Pat - thanks for the helpful tip.)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Rob, I would suggest that you put the static values in a file and use DECODE

COMPUTE BUDGET/D6CM = DECODE REGION(STATBUDG ELSE 0);

Use FILEDEF to point STATBUDG to a file containig Region and Budget pairs.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Thank you for pointing out that my response was worded a little too sternly. It was meant to be a warning rather than an admonition. I hit something similar recently. The person in this job before me retired. She had set up tables that were read in as a DECODE to convert our cost centers to Region and District. Oddly enough, I can not find a database that contains this information. One of our regions opened a new District office and used a number from an office that had closed. Our Focus/WebFocus reports were all showing the old District name. The problem was that there was a file for operations, a file for sales, a file for revenue, etc. It took me weeks to find all of the places to change this district name. I'm STILL not sure I have them all.

Rob,

The best way to handle this if the budget is based on something logical (like a percentage of last years sales) is to compute it in the program (or a program that runs annually or quarterly depending on your budget period).

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Warren,

Decode against a file is a good alternative but will fall foul one day if the file size exceeds limits (32000 chars currently?). Joining to a file, as Pat and Darin suggest, is a little more future proof.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony, I do agree, the file was suggested as a starting point, easy to set up and maintain.

Storing in a table is better, but then requires some sort of maintenance, MODIFY, MAINTAIN, TABLE HOLD from flat file or something else.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I suggest storing budgets and their associated keys (department, person, etc) in a fixed format 'flat' *.txt file at a fixed location, with a (hand crafted?) synonym. Update/extend the table as needed with any text editor.

The first step/task of your WebFOCUS procedure FILEDEFS to the *.txt file then copies (PRINT *) it to a FOCUS format temporary file with suitable indexes for quick retrieval.

The second step/task of the WebFOCUS procedure joins you file of actual expenses to the held file of budgets and prepares your report.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post