Focal Point
[SOLVED] (FOC920) FOCSORT HAS REACHED ITS PAGE LIMIT 524287

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5407081436

October 17, 2013, 12:14 PM
Phillis
[SOLVED] (FOC920) FOCSORT HAS REACHED ITS PAGE LIMIT 524287
I am having a problem with this error. Is there a solution? I am doing a large match.
NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 14183962 LINES=8218965

When it goes into the next step. I get the foc920 error and the program stops. I cannot get past this point in my program. I am using FOCUS and not WebFocus.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

October 17, 2013, 01:34 PM
Tom Flynn
Hi Phillis,
Probably need to bump up your FOCTEMP AND FOCSORT allocations:

//FOCTEMP DD DSN=TEMP_DSN_NAME_HERE,
// DISP=(NEW,CATLG),
// UNIT=DISK,SPACE=(CYL,100,100)

My JCL is "very" rusty, but, hope you get the jist...

BTW, Welcome to the Forum...
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe
October 17, 2013, 05:19 PM
Waz
Phillis, you are running WebFOCUS on windows ?

I would suggest swapping to external sort.

e.g.

SET EXTSORT = ON

Are you using MATCH FILE ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

October 24, 2013, 01:22 PM
Phillis
Tom and Waz,

Thank you for your reply. I tried both suggestions and my final change was to add the following to my JCL:

//** ADDED THIS FOCSORT TO PREVENT PAGE LIMIT ERROR-524287
//FOCSORT DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(600,500)),VOL=(,,,15)

I think increasing the FOCSORT was what I needed. However, I did also add the SET EXTSORT = ON to my program.

I think this Forum is very helpful!

Phillis

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

October 24, 2013, 04:40 PM
Waz
Phillis,

It may be a good idea to update your signature. It only states Windows as an OS.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

June 07, 2016, 11:51 AM
Phillis
This is an update to (FOC920) FOCSORT HAS REACHED ITS PAGE LIMIT 524287. The external FOCSORT in the JCL would not work. I could not get around the limit. I had to make my files smaller. I sorted off the records and made 3 separate files and then matched the smaller files together individually. This worked because it was not reaching the limit. I also did a 'more' to get the files back together and proceeded through the rest of the program and it finished correctly.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

June 07, 2016, 04:21 PM
Waz
I think it very much depends on what you are doing to determine if you can use external sorting.

Good to know you got it working.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

June 07, 2016, 07:52 PM
j.gross
quote:
524287 [pages]

That's 2,147,479,552 bytes, exactly 4096 less than 2gb. It's a hard limit on the number of data pages in a FOCUS database -- and Focsort and the "internal matrix" are just that, FOCUS databases.

Ergo, using an external sort will be of no use -- that just interposes between reading the data rows and inserting them (presorted) into the internal matrix -- but ultimately your original request would still exceed that limit.

Now, if there were an option to use xfocus as the format of the internal matrix...
July 27, 2016, 08:21 AM
reena
in which file u have added //FOCSORT DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(600,500)),VOL=(,,,15)

because i have same issue of foc920 focsort stopped.

quote:
Originally posted by Phillis:
Tom and Waz,

Thank you for your reply. I tried both suggestions and my final change was to add the following to my JCL:

//** ADDED THIS FOCSORT TO PREVENT PAGE LIMIT ERROR-524287
//FOCSORT DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(600,500)),VOL=(,,,15)

I think increasing the FOCSORT was what I needed. However, I did also add the SET EXTSORT = ON to my program.

I think this Forum is very helpful!

Phillis

WebFOCUS 8
Unix, All Outputs
December 02, 2016, 12:17 AM
reena
Hi Waz,
I am getting same error (FOC920) FOCSORT EXCEEDED CURRENT PAGE LIMIT.

So i tried to use SET EXTSORT = ON but its not working in my code as i am using nosplit command and it does not support EXTSORT .
Can you please help me out here ?

quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
Phillis, you are running WebFOCUS on windows ?

I would suggest swapping to external sort.

e.g.

SET EXTSORT = ON

Are you using MATCH FILE ?

WebFOCUS 8
Unix, All Outputs
December 02, 2016, 03:49 AM
Squatch
You're gonna need a bigger boat.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs
December 04, 2016, 03:22 PM
Waz
Can you post the code ?

I guess I'm wondering if there is another way to code this

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

December 05, 2016, 03:32 AM
Tony A
If you are blowing all your FOCSORT and cannot allocate more, AND using NOSPLIT, then you must be pushing a very large volume of data into your report!

What output format are you intending to use? If it is HTML, have you asked yourself the question "Can my end-users browser handle this much report?".

If you haven't then it might be a good idea to do so! Especially if the intended device is a tablet or 32 bit machine (yes, people do still have them!) with limited memory available.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
December 05, 2016, 09:22 AM
j.gross
Three things to note:

1. The FOCSORT requirement is basically governed by the number of records times the size of the data records. See if you can eliminate extraneous data columns, or truncate text columns, to reduce the row-size of the records produced.

2. If you can utilize TABLEF at this step, that will sidestep the FOCSORT issue. Yes, there are things TABLE handles that TABLEF cannot -- but for intermediate HOLD steps you can often make adjustments to work that out. And couple TABLEF with EXTSORT=ON; given appropriate conditions, WF will arrange for the external sort package to rearrange the incoming reams of data to conform to the BY phrases of the TABLEF request.

3. Assuming your process will ultimately do some serious data reduction, the step where that SUM operation occurs will need only enough FOCSORT room to hold the (summarized) output rows. So see whether you can include the data reduction (or more of it) in this step of the process.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05