Focal Point
[CLOSED] WF Function for Error Message

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5427069406

June 04, 2011, 03:58 PM
MCKELPA99
[CLOSED] WF Function for Error Message
Does anyone know if there is an internal amper function that returns the error message in WebFOCUS similar to &FOCERRNUM that returns the error number?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.7.02
Unix
All Output
June 04, 2011, 08:36 PM
Francis Mariani
Syntax: How to Retrieve an Error Message
FEXERR(error, 'A72')
where:
error - Is the error number, up to 5 digits long.
'A72' - Is the format of the output value enclosed in single quotation marks. The format is A72 because the maximum length of an Information Builders error message is 72 characters.

Example: Retrieving an Error Message
FEXERR retrieves the error message whose number is contained in the &ERR variable, in
this case 650. The result is returned to the variable &MSGVAR and has the format A72.
-SET &ERR = 650;
-SET &MSGVAR = FEXERR(&ERR, 'A72');
-TYPE &MSGVAR

The output is:
(FOC650) THE DISK IS NOT ACCESSED

or
-SET &FOCERRMSG = FEXERR(&FOCERRNUM, 'A72');

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
June 07, 2011, 05:59 PM
MCKELPA99
Thanks...this functions works for the most part. However, if the error message is "Table Not Found: TableXXX", it does not return the name of the table which is a part of the error message. It just returns "Table Not Found".

WebFOCUS 7.7.02
Unix
All Output
June 07, 2011, 10:04 PM
Francis Mariani
Yes, unfortunately the additional message info is not included - we all wish it would be.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
June 08, 2011, 09:06 AM
MCKELPA99
Thanks! So then, I guess there are other error messages where this function does not return the additional part of the message?

WebFOCUS 7.7.02
Unix
All Output
June 08, 2011, 10:13 AM
Francis Mariani
Never does. People have discussed how to capture/trace/parse the WebFOCUS execution code and errors, but I think this is overkill - a user never wants to know why a report failed, they don't want the report to fail. I usually capture the error and display a message stating an error occurred.

Francis