Focal Point
Services Start-Up Sequence Still Required in 7.x?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5431026452

October 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
cburtt
Services Start-Up Sequence Still Required in 7.x?
We installed 5.3 in 2001 and were told then by IBI that when rebooting our Windows server, we had to start the services supporting WebFOCUS in a specific order:
1. IIS.
2. WebFOCUS Server
3. WebFOCUS Client (if present)
4. DistributionServer

We have migrated to 7.1.x and are moving on to 7.6.3.

In configuring 7.6.3, I consulted the current state of our 7.1 server with the intention of copying it's dependency code into 7.6. To my surprise, there was no such code in 7.1, yet the server reboots itself each midnight and runs problem free all day long supporting lots of RCaster jobs and a minimum of MRE and DevStudio work.

Has the need for such services restart dependencies been eliminated between 5.2 and 7.x?

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.
October 30, 2007, 04:30 AM
Majid Jeddi
Hi,

When you install the new release of webfocus,the installation process will take care of registering the services with the needed dependencies.
To ask your question you have to go to windows services and locate your services and there you will find a tab that shows any existing dependency for the service you want to check.

Majid.

WebFocus 7.6.5
AND WebLogic server as web server
sql2005 as database server
October 30, 2007, 08:07 AM
GamP
cburtt,

Indeed, the dependencies are not needed any more.
The main reason in the old days for these dependencies was with the Distribution server.
That piece of code has been vastly improved in later releases, and one of the nice improvements is the removal of these dependencies.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
October 30, 2007, 09:06 AM
cburtt
Thanks, guys for the quick replies.
I'll no longer worry about this as I configure our remaining 7.6.3 platforms.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.