Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] What exactly is a FOC$HLD file?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] What exactly is a FOC$HLD file?
 Login/Join

posted
One of my coworkers is having a space problem with a FOC$HOLD file, running in a mainframe FOCUS environment. We have tried, via JCL, to increase the size of the work areas we use on the mainframe, but keep getting an SB37 error.

What exactly is a FOC$HOLD file? I'm thinking it's an intermediate work file that FOCUS uses, but if anyone has a better explanation, I would like to hear it.

Also, how can we get away from the SB37 problem on our MVS mainframe?

Thanks in advance....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Mainframe FOCUS, Rel 7.1.1 running on MVS/TSO
Windows XP, Mainframe VM/CMS and MVS/TSO
outputs in Reports, Excel, Flat file

Posts: 15 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 01, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
From FOCUS for Mainframe > Creating Reports, Version 7 Release 3 > Holding Report Output in FOCUS Format
quote:
Note: In environments that support the MODIFY facility, a Master File for the HOLD file and
a sequential data source called FOC$HOLD are created when the command HOLD FORMAT
FOCUS is executed. The data in FOC$HOLD is then loaded into the HOLD file using an
internally generated MODIFY procedure.
This is what I had in a 15 year old JCL I found:
//FOC$HOLD DD UNIT=PUBLIC,SPACE=(TRK,(200,50),RLSE)                             

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
FOC$HOLD is a work file used by WebFOCUS/FOCUS for sorting data.

It is called when you use TABLE and the data is not in the required sort order.
TABLEF does not sort, providing the data returned is in the correct order, (it is disabled if
sorting is required) and so FOC$HOLD is not used.

FOC$HOLD has a maximum size of 2 gig and cannot be increased above this limit
(providing your system is configured for 2 gig otherwise the limit is 1 gig).

As you are on MVS mainframe you should look at using external sort routines.

SET EXTSORT=ON

If you are using batch processes then it can be called in the same way or doing it the old fashioned way
use JCL controlled job steps to do any sort merge operations using SYCSORT or what ever sort/merge
PGM that your site uses. Much more efficient and faster.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your quick replies.... I appreciate the information, and we'll work accordingly.

Mainframe FOCUS, Rel 7.1.1 running on MVS/TSO
Windows XP, Mainframe VM/CMS and MVS/TSO
outputs in Reports, Excel, Flat file

Posts: 15 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 01, 2009Report This Post