Focal Point
EXCEL TEMPLATES

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5511037732

July 19, 2007, 05:24 AM
Karanth
EXCEL TEMPLATES
Hi,
I have a question regarding usage of excel templates in Web Focus. Since the excel template is stored on the server, what happens when multiple users access the same report at the same time? Will it not kinf of lock the excel file? Please tell me how this works.
July 19, 2007, 04:57 PM
Sayed
I do not think it locks the file since you are not writing anything to it, you are only reading it.

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE
July 20, 2007, 10:06 AM
Trav
I don't know that we've ever had enough activity to hit the same template by more than one user at a time. But my understanding is that it is simply reading the template and giving the user their own copy of the data in the template.

However, we HAVE noticed that if you have the template open in Excel (to make template modifications for example), it will be locked and the report will not be allowed to open the template...

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF
July 24, 2007, 02:14 AM
Karanth
Thanks a lot for your responses....