Focal Point
-REMOTE BEGIN/END in WebFOCUS 521

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5521067331

July 24, 2003, 03:12 PM
arthil21
-REMOTE BEGIN/END in WebFOCUS 521
Has anyone been able to get code similar to this to work in WebFOCUS 5.2.1? :

REMOTE DEST=MVS Server
REMOTE USER=Valid MVS userid
REMOTE PASS=Valid MVS User Password
-REMOTE BEGIN
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END
-REMOTE END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT *
END
July 30, 2003, 01:56 PM
arthil21
Does anyone have an answer for this? I find it hard to believe that no other companies execute legacy FOCEXECs that sit on the Mainframe from WebFOCUS. IBI has failed to fix the bug for me, so I was wondering if anyone worked around the problem. Thanks.
July 30, 2003, 03:27 PM
<Claudia Holanda>
Hello Arthur,

As you already know, we are aware of this problem. Our developers have fixed the issue and we are in the process of testing and certifying the fix which will be available in a future WebFOCUS service Pack.

Thank you,
July 30, 2003, 07:25 PM
arthil21
Thanks Claudia. Sorry to be a pest on this issue, but this is really what's holding us back from upgrading to 5.2.x. I can get around the migration utility and APP PATH issues that I ran into, but we have hundreds of FOCEXECs in WebFOCUS that execute FOCEXECs remotely on z/OS. Once the fourth quarter rolls around, it will be impossible to do the upgrade. Our window is getting smaller by the day.
July 31, 2003, 12:35 PM
Rich Dickeson
You have me curious.. Does -REMOTE only work with 5.2+ We currently are on 4.3.6.. AND does this work for both Self Service and MRE ?
July 31, 2003, 02:51 PM
arthil21
-REMOTE works fine in 4.3.6. I ran into problems with our existing code when testing 5.2.1.
July 31, 2003, 10:12 PM
Tony
Dear Arthur,

This issue has been resolved with the 5.2.2 release of the Reporting Server. The resolution requires that at minimum your HUB server is at a 5.2.2. or higher level.

Contact Customer Support Services inorder to receive download instructions for the 5.2.2 Reporting Server.

Regards,
Tony Li
WebFOCUS Senior Support Manager, CSS
Information Builders
October 29, 2003, 01:18 PM
susannah
Gee, i execute remotely all day, from 436 and from 522. never had a problem.
but i do use -MRNOEDIT BEGIN
and -MRNOEDIT END
statements around my REMOTE statements.
and i do set the TEMPDIR before the REMOTE statements so that i control where i bring down my extracts.
i have found that APP PATH does get in the way of the TEMPDIR , so i only exectute from an MRE domain that does NOT have an APP PATH set.
and i'm running ancient focus on my remote box..they don't even make a focus 5x for it.
never had a problem. i just don't try to run fancy focus on the remote box.