Focal Point
[CLOSED]Unable to read file popup excel only

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5537070186

March 03, 2016, 05:14 PM
MikeW
[CLOSED]Unable to read file popup excel only
We are experiencing an issue when the report is output to excel. Our reports output to EXL2K in the focexec code. The issue doesn't happen all the time and its totally random. When the report is generating the excel output we receive a small popup from excel "Unable to read file" and it contains a button with the text "Ok". Click Ok and nothing happens. Re-run the report and it outputs just fine, OR you get the popup again. Sometimes it will take 3 - 5 times to get it to output. Seems to never happen the first time I run a report for the given day. We are on Microsoft Excel 2010. Any one ever had this issue?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Webfocus 8.1.0.5
Windows 2008
Excel,PDF,HTML
March 03, 2016, 05:26 PM
jcannavo
Just curious, if you set the format to XLSX do you see the same behavior?

JC
WebFOCUS Dev Studio / App Studio
Windows 7
March 03, 2016, 05:43 PM
MikeW
It seems to work fine when I change it to EXL07. I cannot remember why I've decided not to use that functionality. Maybe had something to do with Report Caster or with creating compound reports with multi-tab output.

Webfocus 8.1.0.5
Windows 2008
Excel,PDF,HTML
March 04, 2016, 08:58 AM
jgelona
It could be most anything, but the primary culprit is that WebFOCUS does not generate true .xls files. Excel 2010 sees that the actual format of the file doesn't conform to the rules of the extension (.xls) and complains in various ways. To fix it can depend on registry settings, excel 2010 security settings, the report using a macro enabled template and a few others.

We use a lot of macro enabled templates. The only issue we've had using XLSX format is multi-worksheet, macro enabled workbooks with lots of data (over 10000 rows). Our issue has to do with how WebFOCUS is zipping the worksheets as the workbook is built. IBI has been able to recreate this and it is supposed to be fixed in some release of 8.2. Other than these cases, we have converted almost all EXL2K output to XLSX.

I would advise converting to XLSX and most certainly doing new reports in XLSX.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.