Focal Point
Webfocus 714 & Excel 2007

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5561037832

July 25, 2007, 04:16 PM
tlbrydie2
Webfocus 714 & Excel 2007
We have an application, where we have a link to export the report to an excel format (using the command ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K) , which has been working great. Some of our clients have upgraded to Excel 2007. When users with Excel 2007 click on the link now they get this message.

"The file you are trying to open, 'WFServlet', is in a different format that specified by the file extension. Verify the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now? Yes or no" (as buttons)...

Selecting yes produces the report in Excel 2007. However we want this message to go away. Does anyone know how to make this message go away and produce an Excel 2007 immediately?

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.10 MRE
Oracle/Sybase
Test: DevStudio 7.6.6
WF Server 7.6.6
Report Caster 7.6.6
Web Server - Tomcat
MS Windows XP SP2
Output: HTML, Excel 2000 , PDF, CSV, DOC

July 25, 2007, 05:00 PM
Prarie
Do a search on the this forum for this subject...it has lots of discussion. It's not an Excel 2007 only issue.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
I've searched the forums quite a bit on this issue and this is the one post that keeps coming up. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything else that's relevant.

We have a some Excel 2007 users who are getting the same message shown above. They're only getting this message with files generated by WebFOCUS, and not other xls files created with earlier versions.

IBI tech support seems to consider this an MS issue (http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/sps/30782522.html). Has anyone found a workaround for this?

WebFOCUS Version 7.1.1, Build 118, Apache Tomcat/5.0.19 JAVA version 1.4.2_13
Yes they say it is a MS issue...not just related to Excel 2007, but Excel in general. There are discussions ..Search on WFServlet

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
I didn't figure this out, but it works:

1. On your PC, run the registry editor through Start – Run, type regedit then press Enter
2. Go to the location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\12.0\EXCEL\SECURITY
3. On the right window, right click you mouse and choose New -> DWORD Value
4. Change the name to “ExtensionHardening” without the double quote
5. Default value of this DWORD is actually 0 which sets the ExtensionHardening of Excel Application to be disabled
6. Close Registry Editor

Now, to open in the browser (if it still doesn't) you need to turn ON the "Browse in Same Window" Option:

1. Double-click My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. On the File Types tab, in the Registered file types box, click on XLS file type.
4. Click Advanced.
5. In the Edit File Type dialog box, check the Browse in same window check box, and then click OK.
6. Click Close to close the Folder Options dialog box.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
Yes, searching on WFServlet does yield a few threads.

Thanks dhagen. I wanted to test the waters and see if anyone was using workarounds, so this helps.

WebFOCUS Version 7.1.1, Build 118, Apache Tomcat/5.0.19 JAVA version 1.4.2_13
The registery fix is not an authorized fix. Does anyone have another solution?

WebFOCUS 7.6.11
All Outputs
Windows 2003