Focal Point
[CASE-OPENED] Reading variable from external application within WebFOCUS environment

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/558107774

June 30, 2010, 10:54 AM
L Shyam
[CASE-OPENED] Reading variable from external application within WebFOCUS environment
Hi,
I need to access a variable value passed from an intranet application within WebFOCUS. The URL will look something like

"http://servername/ibi_apps/Controller?WORP_REQUEST_TYPE=WORP_GBV_VERIFY&WORP_MPV=bb_gbv&groupName=domainname&VAR_VAL=I&WORP_PASS=&WORP_USER=uid"

I need to access value of VAR_VAL inside MRE Dashboard. To achieve that, I have defined the variable in WebFOCUS Administration Console/Configuration/Custom setting as
< set > VAR_VAL (pass)
When I try to access &VAR_VAL in fex, its showing as null. I am not getting the value sent through URL.

What could be the reason?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.6.x
Win XP
HTML,Excel,PDF
June 30, 2010, 06:25 PM
Waz
I don't believe that these variable will be passed to WF, as they are part of MRE/Dashboard. It depends on where these variables end up cookie wise.

This can be done by javascript though.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

June 30, 2010, 09:29 PM
L Shyam
Waz, are you saying I need to create a cookie using something like session.setattribute to store the value? And then use copysessionvartoWFvar method to access it at WF end?

WF 7.6.x
Win XP
HTML,Excel,PDF
June 30, 2010, 09:41 PM
Waz
What I am saying is that as far as I know, the MRE session variables do not automatically get passed, so if if your
<set> VAR_VAL (pass)
does not work, then another method is needed.

I had to do this for a customised dashboard.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

June 30, 2010, 09:52 PM
L Shyam
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions for the method to be used? Or how did you achieve for the customised dashboard?

Regards,
Shyam L

WF 7.6.x
Win XP
HTML,Excel,PDF
June 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
Waz
What I did was on the more obscure side of things.

I had a report populate the lefthand side of dashboard. This had javascript in it to access the variables.

There may be other better ways to do this.

One of the other contributors may have much better ways of doing this.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984