Focal Point
PDF Drill Down Report and changed code

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5641038331

February 17, 2005, 04:00 PM
Carol Dobson
PDF Drill Down Report and changed code
Win2K/WebFocus 5.2.4/Adobe 6

This is driving me crazy!! I create a report in Adobe with drill down, call the second focexec and view the report in Adobe which seems to be picking up a cached version of my code. As I'm making changes to the second focexec and saving them, I'm not seeing them in my PDF output (drilled down).

Anyone run into this?

Thanks,
Carol
February 17, 2005, 07:40 PM
j.gross
The url of the drilldown doesn't change, so IE will just go to its cache for the result, if you've clicked there before.

Try:

clear cache in IE

drill-down from a fresh instance (a cell you didn't exercise before)
February 18, 2005, 02:39 PM
Carol Dobson
Jack,
Do I have to do this every time I make a change to the code?

Thanks for your help,
Carol
February 18, 2005, 03:59 PM
j.gross
Yes, when you are changing the results expected from a hyperlink in a static document, clearing the cache* should be second nature.

*In IE 6: Tools | Internet options | General tab, Temporary Internet files section, Delete files... | OK
February 18, 2005, 04:05 PM
Carol Dobson
Jack,
Thanks for your help and input. At least now I know I can't fix it permanently, and will continue to do it manually each time I make a change.

Have a grea weekend, Focal Point is always so helpful.
Carol
February 18, 2005, 05:47 PM
<Pietro De Santis>
When doing web development, you should always set your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet files setting to "Every visit to a page". Due to unexplainable idiosyncrasies with IE, you may sometimes have to empty the cache as well.

This is not necessary for the users however, as they will be running programs that are stable, not being changes and rerun immediately.
February 23, 2005, 06:28 PM
Leo L
Well we ran into that problem for both developing and for our webserver(since every time a person clicked on a report, we wanted to update a counter and make sure IE didn't grab the cache) and this is the solution we came up with.

-SET &TIME = HHMMSS('A8');

then when running the report, pass the dummy &TIME variable as a parameter along to the next report. In your case a drilldown and it would work like:

TYPE=DATA,COLUMN=N1, FOCEXEC=PROGRAM2 (TI=&TIME),$

this would make every call different because the time would be different and would never use a cache version.

Leo
February 24, 2005, 11:57 AM
Carol Dobson
Leo,
What a cool technique, I'll try that!

Thank you for answering this post.
Carol
February 24, 2005, 12:15 PM
Carol Dobson
Oh rats, this didn't pick up the changed focexec.
Like Pietro said, this only happens while in development, just have to get used to it.
February 25, 2005, 05:31 PM
Leo L
That's odd... works here... and it just make sence since the URL of the call should be different every time by the Time variable. I never tried it in a PDF file but I know it works great with the HTML pages we have.

Leo
February 25, 2005, 06:50 PM
Carol Dobson
Hi LeoL
That may be our disconnect here, it does work with HTML but it doesn't work with PDF.
I think your idea is very clever however!

Thanks again,
Carol