Focal Point
Suppressing a training underline

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5667095326

August 28, 2012, 09:50 AM
gcarterIT
Suppressing a training underline
Hi,

The code below prints a paragraph of underlined text. However, in the last sentence, the underlining continues from the end of the sentence to the right margin. How can I get the underlining to halt at the end of the last sentence? I wish to continue to use the text variable.

DEFINE FILE EMPLOYEE
SENTENCE1/A1000='The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The grass is green. The grass is green. The grass is green. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. ';
END

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
BY LAST_NAME NOPRINT
ON TABLE SUBFOOT
"<SENTENCE1"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='ARIAL',
     SIZE=10,
     JUSTIFY=LEFT,
$
TYPE=TABFOOTING,
     LINE=1,
     WRAP=6.5,
	 STYLE=UNDERLINE,
$

ENDSTYLE
END

Thanks,
George

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
August 28, 2012, 10:37 AM
Prarie
Play with your Wrap number - if you change it to 4 on this particular report...it does what you want.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
I tried it and it did not work.
But it sounds as though this suggestion will alter the width of my paragraph which is not what I want to do. I want to be able to suppress trailing underlines without regard to wrap size.
Actually this issue appears to occur on every line line, not just the last line.

Thanks for trying, any other suggestions?
George

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
Is the sentence always the same? Make it a Footing.

DEFINE FILE EMPLOYEE
SENTENCE1/A1000='The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The grass is green. The grass is green. The grass is green. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. ';
END

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
BY LAST_NAME NOPRINT
ON TABLE FOOTING
"The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red."
"The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The grass is"
"green. The grass is green. The grass is green. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird"
"is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is"
"blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue."
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='ARIAL',
     SIZE=10,
     JUSTIFY=LEFT,
$
TYPE=FOOTING,

STYLE=UNDERLINE,
$

ENDSTYLE
END

You're right. Making it a Footing resolves the issue.

Since the text could change for various reasons, I prefer to keep the text in a text variable such as SENTENCE1, but I may have no choice but to make it a Footing.

Maybe others can suggest more alternatives.

Thanks for your help and time,
George

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
try -
FOOTING
"<SENTENCE1"

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
Hey Tony...I had tried that but WRAP truncates it.
Hmmmmmm, let me double check when I get to my laptop - currently having dinner (Thai curry - yum).

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
Sounds tasty. Lucky you.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
It was, just washing it down with a very pleasant pint! Ice cold of course!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
This works OK on 7.6.10 -

DEFINE FILE EMPLOYEE
  SENTENCE1/A1000 = 'The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. '
                  | 'The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. '
                  | 'The car is red. The car is red. The car is red. '
                  | 'The grass is green. The grass is green. The grass is green. '
                  | 'The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. '
                  | 'The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. '
                  | 'The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. The bird is blue. ';
END

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
PRINT SENTENCE1 AS ''
BY HIGHEST 1 LAST_NAME NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     FONT='ARIAL',
     SIZE=10,
     JUSTIFY=LEFT,
     GRID=OFF,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     COLUMN=SENTENCE1,
     WIDTH=7.5, WRAP=7.5,
	 STYLE=UNDERLINE,
$

ENDSTYLE
END

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
Very Good Tony!
Thanks Tony,

Good work. Its look exactly the way I want it, except my text variable will be in a SUBFOOT. I tried unsuccessfully to translate your solution to my example. But will try again later. My example is part of a much larger collection of code and I would like to avoid rearranging it just to remove the trailing underline. but maybe your solution is the only one. Any final thoughts?

Thanks again,
George

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs