Focal Point
[SOLVED] Change YYMD to HYYMDS in synonym and focus database

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5687069576

May 05, 2015, 12:45 PM
George Patton
[SOLVED] Change YYMD to HYYMDS in synonym and focus database
I have a requirement wherein a date in a Focus database has till now just been YYMD, but the new requirement is to record the time also.

These are smartdates so I'm guessing that all I have to do is change the display characteristics in the MAS file to HYYMDS, but I thought I'd get an opinion here before messing things up ....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George Patton,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP
May 05, 2015, 02:13 PM
eric.woerle
George,

I would treat it like any other database. Create a new field for your Time/Date field. You will need to update whatever processes update that field to now provide the date/time to the new field. Then migrate the old data from the one field into the other.

Remember that whatever is populating that field is doing so with a smart date as well. So just changing the data type in the FOCUS table won't be enough. You will most likely receive errors for trying to put a smart date into a HYYMDS field.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2
May 05, 2015, 02:24 PM
j.gross
Smart dates are internally 4-byte binary signed integers. I believe H (date-time) formats are a different size and internal layout.

You can use rebuild dump + rebuild load for most of the heavy lifting, but you'll need to run a Modify to set the timestamp in the converted record instances (HOLD record keys and date field(s) before the format conversion, and run a Modify from Hold after).

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05
May 06, 2015, 01:45 PM
George Patton
Eric / Jack:

Thank you both for your comments. Receiving advice from the past masters of the art is a pleasure. Having it confirmed that it isn't a super-simple exercise is a bit of a pain, but that's OK.

George

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP