Focal Point
[SOLVED]FML Top Element Error

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5707065395

November 12, 2010, 10:36 AM
T.Peters
[SOLVED]FML Top Element Error
Has anyone ever seen this error message when using FML in Report Painter:

"Top Element is Missing. Would you like to display a data tree anyway"

I cannot find any documentation on what it cannot find nor how to solve it. I am trying to use a permanent HOLD file as an input to my FML report. I have manipulated the metadata to have a PARENT_OF property to allow for the hierarchy I want. Whenever I try to use the file in this manner, I get the error. If I take all the hierarchy pieces out, I am able to pull the elements I want, but they are summarized to a level that I cannot use. I need to be able to show the detail for the elements selected.

I think this may be a specific data issue because I can simulate this report using the CAR tables and everything comes out normally, but when I go to use my production tables, I fail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: T.Peters,

WebFOCUS: 7702
O/S : Windows
Data Migrator: 7702
November 13, 2010, 05:17 AM
Waz
I think that this is related to your data.

Possibly you don't have a record that has no parent, i.e. the opt element.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

November 13, 2010, 10:07 AM
Brian Suter
I believe Waz got that right. To render a tree, ONE row must have a parent pointer that is empty (can't remember if it needs to be blank or missing...)

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development
November 15, 2010, 08:29 AM
T.Peters
Ok, I think I know what you're talking about. Wish there was some kind of documentation somewhere that told me what the heck WF was telling me with this. I'll see what I can do and get back to y'all.

November 15, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hua
I am kind of believe that the data has no parent because FML can only handle a tree, not a forest.

It seems to me that FML has no provision to select a parent at run time, like the normal tabular report where you can have WHERE PARENT EQ &PARENT in the fex.

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS
November 16, 2010, 05:13 PM
T.Peters
Thanks for your help, guys. I manually built a hierarchy that has a "Top Element" that expires where my parent id number = 0. That seems to have fixed this issue. I may have more questions regarding this report, but for now this is good. Thanks again.