Focal Point
WebFOCUS conversion Estimates 5.2.8 to 7.x

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5841018271

June 20, 2006, 11:02 AM
<RickW>
WebFOCUS conversion Estimates 5.2.8 to 7.x
At some point within the next year we're planning on pulling the trigger and upgrading from 5.2.8 to 7.1.4 (or the latest version but probably not the 7.6.x AJAXy stuff).

We DON'T use; MRE, MAINTAIN, and generally any of the WebFOCUS GUIs (Painter, Assistant, etc.)

We DO use; graphing, self-service apps, ReportCaster, SQL passthru, servlet or the CGI ibiweb.exe, PDF, Excel, some HTML output.

What we're wondering is approximately how much time did/do you spend on the conversion (primarily talking about code changes)?

Did one area (reporting, PDFs, graphing, etc.) take substantially more time than others?

I know the number, complexity of programs, programming resources are certainly some of the biggest factors but we're just trying to get a ballpark estimate of the impact it will have on our time as well as any potential showstoppers.

I've already done a search in the forums and relative links and am aware of some of the issues.

Thanks.

Rick
June 20, 2006, 11:26 AM
mgrackin
We have 5.2.3 in production and are testing 7.1.3. I would say the most time I have spent on varifying the reports with GRAPHs. With every release the graph engine seems to render this slightly different. Usually I notice slight size and position changes to graph objects. Besides that, I do not recall having to change any other code.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011
June 20, 2006, 11:46 AM
Lenny Ward
We just upgraded from 5.2.3 to 7.1.3.
We have a very similar environment to yours.

The only thing we ran into was the way varchar data is brought back from sql.

(Production: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
(Test: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
June 21, 2006, 07:26 AM
<RickW>
Thanks for the insight.
June 21, 2006, 02:22 PM
susannah
rick, as your server is windows, you might want to try using the isapi engine instead of cgi or servlet ..(/cgi-bin/ibi_cgi/webapi.dll)
Your users can then click right on your html output tables and choose export to excel and get a refreshable excel sheet, webquery automatically built right in. It works with cgi, but not servlet.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID