Focal Point
[SOLVED] Editable PDF?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/598102705

August 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
ColdWhiteMilk
[SOLVED] Editable PDF?
I've created my first PDF output report (actually compound PDF), and of course, my customer has come back and asked if I could now provide the report in a format that they can edit.

I did not think that WebFOCUS could create a editable PDF file, but are there other output formats that I might be able to use?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Production - 7.6.4
Sandbox - 7.6.4
August 12, 2010, 04:41 PM
gweller
If the ouput change is not an option there are plenty of PDF Editing tools available.

We use Foxit.

WebFOCUS 8201M/Windows Platform
August 12, 2010, 05:34 PM
Dan Satchell
Excel output can be edited.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
August 13, 2010, 08:53 AM
ColdWhiteMilk
Is there a way to format the report for Word or Rich Text?

Production - 7.6.4
Sandbox - 7.6.4
August 13, 2010, 06:42 PM
Dan Satchell
Yes, ON TABLE HOLD/SAVE FORMAT RTF is an option.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
August 16, 2010, 10:33 AM
ABT
CWM,
Given your other frustrations with the toolset, I think it's appropriate to mention that this functionality is a 'come-along' with PDF as a file format. It has long been thought of as an 'uneditable format' but, as others here have pointed out, it just requires an appropriate tool (Foxit, as gweller points out as well as Adobe Acrobat (not the free 'Reader')).

Note: unless you are making extremely small edits, I strongly suggest you use a different output format, if the user intends to edit the results. While PDF can be edited, it usually brings with it it's own bag of pain (to borrow a term from Francis Mariani).

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro
August 16, 2010, 10:57 AM
ColdWhiteMilk
Working withthe PDF output format has actually been extremely interesting. The problems that I've had have not been data related, but simply "getting WebFOCUS to do what I wanted it to do".

I appreciate everyone's help with this question. I'm going to take a look at the RTF output option, as well as re-visit EXL2K output now that I have all the initial development completed.

Production - 7.6.4
Sandbox - 7.6.4
August 16, 2010, 12:40 PM
Francis Mariani
That "bag of hurt" quote is Steve Jobs explaining why Blu-ray drives are not available on Macs!

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server