Focal Point
[CLOSED with BUG] HTML Composer: All-purpose external procedure to retrieve values

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6047095226

July 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
Francis Mariani
[CLOSED with BUG] HTML Composer: All-purpose external procedure to retrieve values
I would like to write one external procedure to load multiple dropdown boxes, modifying what is retrieved by passing parameters to the external procedure. I see nothing in the GUI that allows me to pass parameter values to the external procedure.

I find it odd that the Properties and settings window displays the fex code of the external procedure - does this mean we can alter it here? Does this mean I can point to the same external procedure for each dropdown box and then change the code to suit each one?

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
July 26, 2012, 07:01 AM
David Glick
Showing the external procedure in the dialog is a convenience. If you edit it there, you can right-click and save it back to the external procedure. Also a convenience.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com
July 26, 2012, 07:45 AM
MAdams1
David,
I have wondered this myself. What if I don't right click and save? Will it save the code for one drop down when I close the composer? Would I be able to use the same fex to populate different drop downs and alter the code in each without saving it back to the procedure? Or does it all disappear when the composer is closed?
Thanks.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML
July 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
<Emily Duensing>
Francis, I know I have changed code in that window before and it has worked.
July 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
Francis Mariani
Thanks for the convenience, but it doesn't help me in this situation.

I need to call the same external fex several times, outputting different data, controlled by parameters - is this possible?

Thanks,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
July 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
Francis Mariani
Oh well - I guess this is not possible.

Francis

July 26, 2012, 08:55 PM
Francis Mariani
It appears that I can make it a dynamic embedded procedure with code like this:

-SET &PFOCEXEC = 'trend';
-SET &PPARM_TYPE = 'dimension';

-INCLUDE DB_SETUP1

This seems to work.

BUT THERE IS A BUG: THE DYNAMIC EMBEDDED PROCEDURE SOMETIMES DISAPPEARS! I HAVE TO RE-ADD THE SAME CODE I PREVIOUSLY HAD IN THE EMBEDDED PROCEDURE BOX!

Most annoying and how do I reproduce this for a tech support case?

Francis

July 26, 2012, 09:13 PM
Francis Mariani
Definitely a bug.

Francis