Focal Point
[SOLVED] Data Services and Java Services settings

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/607105553

January 29, 2010, 12:53 PM
jgolden
[SOLVED] Data Services and Java Services settings
Hi all,
I am looking for some recommendations on standard settings for WebFOCUS configuration for 7.6.10 server. I am getting conflicting answers, and i'm tryign to see if there are other users out there running on Linux/apache tomcat/WF7610?
Currently we have our Java Services/JVM Settings with the "Initial Java Heap Size" and "Maximum Java Heap Size" set with 1024 Mb for each. I've heard also that Ini = 256 and Max = 512 is what some users are setting. However, when we tried those settings, we immediately started getting Java Heap size errors.
We are running numerous reports at a time in test, and expect a lot more - we have set back to 1024 for now.
Also, we have our default Data Servicres properties set with MAximum = 40, number_ready = 10, and maximum_q* = 100. DFM Settings are set to MAximum = 10, number_ready = 1, and maximum_q* = 20.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus Developer Studio v. 7610
MySQL/Linux
All different outputs including map technology and using the DMC for our ETL process as well
February 01, 2010, 05:06 AM
GamP
These settings all depends on your specific situation. What's working fine for one user does not necessarily have to be the right setting for someone else.
It would seem to me that a minimum of 256 Mb should be enough to start with. If you get errors quite rapidly after starting the service with a max of 512, then that max apparently is not enough for your environment. Increasing the max will then be needed. I have seen environments that had more than enough with max set to 512, and also situations where even 1536 Mb was not enough.

The same goes for the settings for your reporting server. A max of 40 seems to me to be quite adequate for my own environment, but it may be too low for yours. You'll find out if it is enough in due course. If users start receiving messages that there are no more agents available, then you'd probably have to up the max value (or maybe kill crashed agents...).

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
February 02, 2010, 08:39 AM
jgolden
thank you for the feedback

WebFocus Developer Studio v. 7610
MySQL/Linux
All different outputs including map technology and using the DMC for our ETL process as well