Focal Point
[SOLVED] Chaining Parameters and ALL option

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/615105681

July 21, 2009, 07:19 AM
bcook278
[SOLVED] Chaining Parameters and ALL option
I have a simple launch page that includes two listbox controls. The 1st listbox is populated with a list of Parent Offices and the 2nd with Child offices. I have chained these listboxes together and both include the option to select . The chain appears to work in that when I run the launch page and select Parent Customer A from listbox 1 the 2nd listbox populates with all the Child Offices of Parent A. My issue is with the ALL that appears in the 2nd listbox. If I have selected Parent A from the 1st listbox and ALL from the 2nd my expectation is that this would return me ALL the child offices of Parent A. The actual behavior I am seeing is that this returns ALL children regardless of Parent as if this ALL in the 2nd listbox overrides the Parent selection. Is there some additional parameter I need to have selected to make the ALL in the 2nd listbox only apply to the specific children of the select Parent?

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcook278,

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
WebFOCUS Client and Server running on RedHat Linux, Developer Studio on Windows XP
All output formats
July 21, 2009, 09:38 AM
Francis Mariani
Bob,

Without actually creating a launch page like yours and then testing it, I have a possible reason why you're seeing this behaviour. If "this returns ALL children regardless of Parent as if this ALL in the 2nd listbox overrides the Parent selection" is occurring in the fex that is launched by the launch page, it's perhaps because the two related selection criteria are in one WHERE and the "ALL" option (translated to "FOC_NONE") disables both selection criteria. Try two separate WHERE statements. This is a wild guess.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
July 21, 2009, 11:24 AM
Darin Lee
That would be my not-so-wild guess as well. I've answered that one MANY times for my users.

The resolution to your problem lies in the construction of your WHERE statement. Either the FOC_NONE issue has bitten you and you need to simplify your WHERE statement, or you've got your parameters switched up and are passing the child value to the parent selection.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
July 21, 2009, 11:36 AM
bcook278
[SOLVED] It was definately an issue with everything being within a single WHERE statement. Once I seperated this out everything was working as intended. Thanks for the assist.

Bob C

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
WebFOCUS Client and Server running on RedHat Linux, Developer Studio on Windows XP
All output formats
July 21, 2009, 12:07 PM
Francis Mariani
Nice to know the guess wasn't wild at all.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server