Focal Point
Escape for &

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6251043132

June 06, 2007, 03:14 PM
JLP
Escape for &
I am trying to use a system function to call a widows program to zip a file. The problem comes in when i put in my password that has an '&' in it. Of course it thinks this is a variable and won't zip the file. I have tried many ways to solve, but have not yet come up with one. Help!
June 06, 2007, 03:21 PM
Leah
quote:
Posted June 06, 2007 03:14 PM
I am trying to use a system function to call a widows program to zip a file. The problem comes in when i put in my password

The obvious solution would be to change your password and if it needs a special character don't chose the ampersand.

Passwords can be such a pain sometimes.

Leah
June 06, 2007, 03:38 PM
mgrackin
1) Try putting a | symbol after the & symbol. the pipe symbol | is found above the Enter key on American keyboards (Sorry Tony Wink)

&|blah

2) If that does not work try putting a \ symbol before the & symbol.

I'm pretty sure option one will work.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011
June 06, 2007, 03:48 PM
Francis Mariani
Mickey, the pipe symbol is above the Enter key on my Canadian keyboard too - amazing, innit?!

The & is buried within the password variable, you could use some string function(s) to change or escape the &, but the best solution is to not use an & in a password (i can't recall ever using an ampersand in a password, and I've been around the block a few times!).

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
June 06, 2007, 05:06 PM
Tony A
Sorry Guys, but your keyboards are wrong again, the pipe symbol is next to the left shift key Wink lol