Focal Point
[SOLVED] whats the diff Between USAGE & actual in a .mas file...

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/641107034

April 29, 2010, 10:31 AM
swati
[SOLVED] whats the diff Between USAGE & actual in a .mas file...
Hi all,
i am pretty new to WebFocus development,i want to know whats the difference between USAGE and ACTUAL in a master file.
if you open open a master file in a text editor for all the fields i could see USAGE = A5,ACTUAL = A5,SO i want to know whats the significance of the usage , actual.

please reply....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

windows
PDF,EXCEL.
April 29, 2010, 10:36 AM
Francis Mariani
Have you tried reading the documentation?

Describing Data With WebFOCUS Language

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
April 29, 2010, 10:40 AM
GinnyJakes
The USAGE format is the one used to display the field on a report. The ACTUAL format describes how many bytes the field occupies on disk. For alpha fields this is ordinarily the same, but it can and often is different for other formats.

For instance, for a relational table, the ACTUAL may be DATE but the USAGE may be YYMD.

For sequential files and numeric fields, the ACTUAL might be I4 and the USAGE might be I6. A 4-byte field stored as an integer can hold a much larger displayable number than 9999.

I would suggest some reading in the Data Adminstration manual for a more robust discussion.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
April 29, 2010, 12:21 PM
swati
thanks.

windows
PDF,EXCEL.