Focal Point
[Solved] Compound Excel report question

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/644103292

November 13, 2009, 02:14 PM
JohnB
[Solved] Compound Excel report question
If you are creating a compound Excel document, the first table request will have an ON TABLE ... FORMAT EXL2K OPEN. The next table request(s) will have an ON TABLE ... FORMAT EXL2K. And the last table request will have an ON TABLE ... FORMAT EXL2K CLOSE.

This has worked even when the first table request retrieved no records. Will this be the case every time the first table request retrieves no records, or did I just luck out and I should add some extra logic to handle this situation?

Thank you,

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JohnB,

WF 7.7.03, Windows 7, HTML, Excel, PDF
November 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
Darin Lee
I believe that this is the correct behavior - if it's working the same as with a compound PDF document. However, using OPEN and CLOSE is the "old" syntax for creating a compound document. If you switch to the new syntax, this can cause problems with the layout when the first part contains no records.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
November 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
JohnB
I came across this situation yesterday. when the first table request had zero records, it did create the compound Excel document, but did not create the first worksheet, which makes sense.

Since the first worksheet is needed, because another Excel workbook has links to every worksheet in the compound Excel document that WebFOCUs creates, the solution was to add SET EMPTYREPORT = ON.

WF 7.7.03, Windows 7, HTML, Excel, PDF