Focal Point
[CLOSED] Upgrading old HTML's

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6477076786

September 05, 2017, 06:06 AM
Wep5622
[CLOSED] Upgrading old HTML's
Has anyone upgraded their HTML's to be compatible with Internet Explorer 11 in Edge-mode? Is there some way to script/automate that?

We have a bunch of old HTML's that were created before we had WF8.1 and a number of newer ones that are in valid HTML5 format.

The latter ones do not work correctly in IE11 if it's in compatibility mode. They have:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge"/>

The old ones rely on IE11 being in compatibility mode (IE=10 works). When we set the portal to IE=Edge, we end up with javascript errors ("Object doesn't support property or method 'evaluate'") due to Microsoft returning a new object type from XML documents (XMLDocument) with an incompatible API...

Experimentally, we found that editting those old HTML's in App Studio helps. Unfortunately, that requires a bit more than just opening and saving, as it changes styling and removes javascript includes.

Hence, we're looking for a way to:

This seems like something that more people will encounter or already have. Has anyone come up with something a bit smarter than the manual approach?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :
September 05, 2017, 09:23 AM
Francis Mariani
This is one of the problems of relying on a GUI to generate your HTML files - you're stuck with what it outputs. As far as I know, the only way to do what you want is to manually open, change, save... each file. Also, I could be wrong but my guess is that App Studio 8.1.03 does not generate absolutely beautiful HTML 5 code.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
September 05, 2017, 09:28 AM
Francis Mariani
One work-around might be to add an HTML 5 doctype as the first line (by editing the file via a text editor):

<!DOCTYPE html>
before
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server