Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Saving Graph to GIF - GRAPHSERVURL and IBIGraphServlet

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Saving Graph to GIF - GRAPHSERVURL and IBIGraphServlet
 Login/Join

posted
Dear All,

I am having some difficulties saving graphs into GIF. I have tried everything mention in this forum, but still having the same problem. Hopefully someone here can help me.

Here is sample of a code:

FILEDEF SAVEFILE DISK C:\TEMPS\
SET GRAPHSERVURL= http://webserver/ibi_apps/IBIGraphServlet
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES
ACROSS COUNTRY
ON GRAPH HOLD AS SAVEFILE FORMAT GIF
END

When I run the above code i get the following result in the webpage:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN GRAPH= 18 PLOT POINTS= 5 FILE SAVEFILE.GIF SAVED TO C:\TEMPS

When I check the folder there is no gif file at all.

Curious i tried to run the following:

http://webserver/ibi_apps/IBIGraphServlet

and got this error:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

java.lang.NullPointerException

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.0.28 logs.

What could be the problem??

Thanks in advance.

YJ

WebFOCUS 767 Server 64bit On Windows 2003 Server

WebFOCUS 767 Server for Developer Studio On windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
YJ,

It would be helpful to know what release and platform you are using. Add it to your signature in your profile so that it is shown each time you post.

On the GIF file, what C:\TEMPS did you check? Your local machine? If so then you need to understand how WebFOCUS HOLDs and SAVEs files (without wishing to "teach granny how to suck eggs").

When you issue a HOLD or SAVE the file gets written to a folder on the Reporting Server called EDATEMP with a subfolder called "tsnnnnnn" where the "nnnnnn" is a number relating to the agent that was used to execute the request on the server. With default environmental settings, the subfolders are "emptied" (with two exceptions) at the end of the request.

If you issue an APP HOLD [application folder name], then your files should be written to the folder [install directory]\IBI\APPS\[application folder name] on your reporting Server. Please note that there can be problems doing this with held data files (.mas files in particular) so use judiciously.

Alternatively, you can FILEDEF the file in advance of the HOLD to place the resultant file where you wish. Note that the FILEDEF will use a filepath relative to the machine that the Reporting Server is installed upon.

Try the following code and then look in the IBI\BASEAPP folder on your Reporting Server for the resultant GIF file, and you should see what I mean.

APP HOLD BASEAPP
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM DCOST
    RCOST
BY COUNTRY
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHEDIT OFF
ON GRAPH SET BARNUMB OFF
ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO OFF
ON GRAPH SET GRID ON
ON GRAPH SET GRMERGE ON
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 600
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 400
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setCustomDataText(getY1Label(), true);
setTextFormatPreset(getY1Label(),-1);
setTextFormatPattern(getY1Label(),"#,###,###");
-*setTextFormatPattern(getY1Label(),"#,###");
-*setDataTextFormat(1);
ENDSTYLE
ON TABLE HOLD AS mygif FORMAT GIF
END

Good luck

T

p.s. Forgot to mention that, because of your FILEDEF, you should be looking on your Reporting Server if you were not already.

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Tony A,

Firstly, thank you for replying to my question. I am actually very new to Webfocus.

I am currently running Webfocus version 7.1.1 on Windows 2003, IIS 6 as Webserver and Apache Tomcat 5.0 as application server.

I actually check the C:\TEMPS\ on the server drive but the gif files are not there. What I am concern is that there might be some settings issue that I have over look.

When I ran the Client Console, and did a diagnostic, the CGI settings failed. I can't remember the exact settings as I am not at the office at the moment.

Any advice?

Regards,

YJ

Expert
posted Hide Post
YJ,

Change your FILEDEF to FILEDEF SAVEFILE DISK C:\TEMPS\savedgif.gif and rerun. You should be able to locate your gif file then. When you FILEDEF something you need the filename as well as the path.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
YJ,
First try commenting out the
ON GRAPH HOLD
line and see if it returns a graph to the screen.
IF it doesn't what error do you get?
IF it does, then check the GRAPH configuration under the WF admin console.
Rich

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear RichH,

Without the ON GRAPH HOLD, the graph is generated successfully.

I have check the GRAPH configuration and everything looks ok unless i miss something. I know there must be a configuration problem somewhere as when i am running

http://webserver/ibi_apps/IBIGraphServlet

I am getting a HTTP 500 error.

From other forums i have gathered that this is [B]not[\B] a normal error. I really have no idea what to do next as I am at a dead end.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Yue-Jeen

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yue-Jeen,

Did you FILEDEF the filename as well as per my last post?

Running the link that you have posted will always fail as it is a servlet that requires input and you are not giving it any by running it as you are. It's like asking a child to go and get "one" without telling them what the "one" is or where from.

Try the full filedef and let us know the outcome.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Yue-Jeen,
Please try using the FILEDEF as Tony has suggested, but IF that fails, let us know what the settings are under the GRAPH configuration under the WF admin console.
Rich

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
<lfrerker>
posted
I just tackled this not too long ago. When using Apache Tomcat you cannot save it as a .gif, you have to save it as a svg. It's a problem with Apache Tomcat.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ifrerker,

You will note that my local platform is Apache / Tomcat and I have no problem in creating a gif file as above.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Guru
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in knowing what versions of Apache/Tomcat on what platform has the problem?

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
<lfrerker>
posted
We are running Tomcat 5.0.28 on Linux with WF7.1.3. I followed the example straight from the book and kept getting an blank image, so I called our techrep and asked him about it and he advised me that Apache Tomcat had problems with creating the graph as a .gif and to use .svg, so I did and it worked.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

FYI, one of our internal people running on Tomcat 5.028 ran the following graph request:

SET TEMPERASE = OFF
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
ON GRAPH HOLD AS TEST FORMAT GIF
END

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, IMAGE=TEST.GIF,$
ENDSTYLE
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END  

And it displayed perfectly, no problem in generating .gif with that version of Tomcat.

To pursue further and/or re-open the ticket, please contact Information Builders' Customer Support Services for further assistance/information. You may either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Hope this helps. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post