Focal Point
[CLOSED] Excel Pivot Table Template with varying ranges

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6617037876

October 05, 2015, 11:24 AM
Pondog
[CLOSED] Excel Pivot Table Template with varying ranges
Hey all, I've scoured the forum and can't locate a solution.

I've created an Excel template that contains a pivot table. When creating the template I ran the query and dropped the data into an Excel file (145k rows). I then created the pivot table and saved it as a template. Before loading the template to the server I highlighted the data rows and deleted the data leaving only the headers on one worksheet and empty pivot table on the other. I then uploaded the template.

The template works fine if I have 145k rows; however, if I deviate from that number then I have blanks present when the number falls below 145k OR I don't capture the data in the pivot table for the rows that exceed the 145k.

Is there a way for my pivot table template to adjust to the number of rows created when I run my fex?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs
October 06, 2015, 08:48 AM
jgelona
Pondod, you ask "Is there a way"

Sure there is, you need a macro enabled template. You'll use the macro to build your pivot table. In the macro, you can get the number of rows and column in your data.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.
October 06, 2015, 08:58 AM
Pondog
jgelona,

I know we saved it as an .xltm file before loading it, however, since I didn't create the pivot table I'm not sure if it's macro induced or not. I know we set the option to Refresh when opened. I'll check it out. Thanks for the direction.

Tony

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs
November 17, 2015, 05:49 PM
Pondog
Resolved:

1. Make sure your worksheet is exactly how you want it in the template BEFORE saving it as a template
2. In your pivot table options remember to set the PivotTable Options/Data/"Refresh data when opening the file" checkbox.
3. If your range is dynamic remember to use the command:
  =OFFSET(Sheet!$A$1,0,0(COUNTA(Sheet!$A:$A)),column#)  

4. In your fex include the following lines at the beginning:
SET EXCELSERVURL=''
-RUN  

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs