Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Excel Limitations in WF 5.2.3

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Excel Limitations in WF 5.2.3
 Login/Join

posted
I'm using WF 5.2.3 and my problem is in regards to Excel 2K limitations.

I have a program that needs to be in Excel, but it exceeds the approximately 65,000 limit of rows. The PCHOLD OPEN/CLOSE option in Excel will not work from what I've read in WF 5.2.3. Is there another way around this so that I can have the 90,000+ show up in an Excel spreadsheet(s)?

Thanks for any help you can give me or point me towards.

Posts: 18 | Location: Saint Louis | Registered: April 01, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
64K rows is not a WebFocus Limit it is a Microsoft Excel limit.

An Excel document CAN NOT contain more than 64K Rows (I believe 95 and before it was 32k Rows).
WebFocus can deliver more but Excel cannot display them. Even the mighty SAP & IBM have not been able to work around this.

I think most spreadsheet applications have this problem.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Good news/bad news. There is a technique to get around this limitation but you need WebFOCUS 5.3.2 to do it. Brian Carter spoke about it at Summit (and wrote about it in the April 2005 WF Newsletter if you want more info).

In WF 5.3.2 you can produce multiple worksheets in a single workbook. In simple terms you burst the data by using a BY field and PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K BYTOC. Here's a version of Brian's example:

TABLE FILE filename
PRINT field1 field2
COMPUTE COUNTER/I9 = COUNTER + 1;
COMPUTE WORKSHEET/I4 = COUNTER/65500;
ON TABLE HOLD AS EXL65K FORMAT ALPHA
END

TABLE FILE EXL65K
PRINT field1 field2
BY WORKSHEET NOPRINT
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K BYTOC
END

Doesn't solve your immediate problem I'm afraid, but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Posts: 118 | Location: DC | Registered: May 13, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Depending on your application, you might want to look at EXL2K PIVOT. The pivot cache can have more than 65K rows. If the end user is keeping the result in Excel to analyze, this might be an option.

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Previously in Focus reports, we would set up a counter and then divy it up in chunks and combine the reports outside of Focus.

TABLE FILE HOLD1
PRINT *
BY CID_LC
WHERE (COUNTER GE 50001) AND (COUNTER LE 65000)
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD2 FORMAT LOTUS
END

Since FORMAT LOTUS doesn't seem to be an option where you can do it 3 times in the same report and just have the 3 .prn files sitting in your directory to download and use, what is one to do now while waiting for 5.3 to be installed? Or, can you do something similar to this in WebFOCUS?

Thanks for your replies. I'll just make the best of what I can do now.

Posts: 18 | Location: Saint Louis | Registered: April 01, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i agree with N.Selph. it is poss to have >65k records in your xml sheet that exl2k pivot reads, if you CACHEFIELDS and/or assiduously use PAGEFIELDS.
but your user has got to have a wicked amount of memory locally to handle.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post