Focal Point
[SHARING] Migration/Conversion utilities

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/673100671

July 09, 2009, 01:55 PM
Syed
[SHARING] Migration/Conversion utilities
Hi all
I'm currently doing some research on the migration of a reporting application in ACTUATE to WEbFOCUS. Before we go ahead with design etc., I wanted to understand if there exists any suite from IBI or a utility that provides easy conversion of existing reports from one tool to WebFOCUS?
Any pointers would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Syed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Using WF 7.1.7/Dev Studio
July 09, 2009, 02:05 PM
Darin Lee
Nope. The FOCUS language is its own beast and as far as I know there is not a tool (IBI or otherwise) to automatically create FOCUS code from any other query. HOWEVER, if most of your queries are SQL, WF now provides an easy way to incorporate those SQL queries into your WF procedures. So those will "convert" directly and you can work on rewriting them in FOCUS, if desired, as time permits.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
July 09, 2009, 04:08 PM
Syed
Thanks Darin! This is helpful.
By 'easy way', are you referring to SQL passthrough in WebFOCUS?

Thanks
Syed

July 09, 2009, 04:25 PM
Darin Lee
Yes, and the GUI tools allow for including SQL so you don't have to code the whole thing by hand.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
July 09, 2009, 04:35 PM
Syed
That clarifies.
Thanks much for the prompt response!

Regards
Syed