Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] My app thinks that the Web Applications folder is the APPROOT

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] My app thinks that the Web Applications folder is the APPROOT
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
This is strange. I recently migrated our stuff from our dev to the User Test environment (same WF version, 7.7.0.3). In Dev I had an app folder (called "common") with some images and stylesheets used by other application folders and HTML files in MRE domains, which I referenced using /approot/common/ and everything was fine.

However, in the new environment, these resources can only be found if they're in a "common" folder under Web Applications. They are not found if they are in the "common" folder in the application path. So I don't understand why my references (still /approot/common) work.

As near as I can tell, both environments are set up exactly the same. The App Path is the same, the approot is declared the same way in edaserve.cfg, and both have a approot declared as blank in cgivars.wfs.

Can anyone explain what's going on here? How can my HTML forms in MRE find files only if they're in the Web Applications folder?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Prod: 8.2.0.4 OS:Windows 10 Output:AHTML, Excel 2007+

The life of a designer is a life of fight against the ugliness.

Posts: 141 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 10, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jess,

As I mentioned before, that is exactly where these files should be. In a single tier environment, this location happens to be exactly the same as the app folder location.

C:\ibi\apps\common is the "common" app folder physical location for the reporting server and also the "common" approot folder physical location for the web server.

Somehow, because of a difference in configuration, your reporting server app folder is not in the same physical location as the web server approot folder.

As per your profile, it appears that you're on a windows platform, so no Linux/Unix complications...

Do you have access to the physical server? Can you use Windows Explorer and navigate to the physical location of the "common" folder, perhaps by mapping a network drive?

Since your code is in MRE, the only files in the "common" app folder might be metadata files (acx, mas) or fexes that are called via -MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE.

All css, js and image files will be in the "common" web applications folder. Perhaps you'll find static html files (ones that do not have any WebFOCUS embedded in them).

My edaserve.cfg (reporting server) specifies: "approot = D:\ibi\apps".
My Client Admin Console (web server) specifies: "approot: D:/ibi/apps".

Even though they specify the same location, these are two different physical (or virtual) machines.

Here's something you may be able to verify.

Navigate to your Client Console: http://web-server-name/ibi_app.../webfocusconsole.jsp and login.

Click on "Reporting Servers" in the left-hand menu.

Click on "Remote Services".

One or more servers should be listed. The default is EDASERVE. Click on the appropriate radio button, then click the Modify button.

The HOST field names the reporting server, either by machine name or IP address. If this does not match the web server name or IP address, then you have a multi-tier environment where the reporting server and web server are on different machines.

If the names/IP addresses are the same (same physical machine), verify the APPROOT of both the reporting server and the web server - they are most likely different.

Disclaimer: The terminology I use is from a Developer's point of view, a WebFOCUS Administrator may find the terminology juvenile.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Did you ever solve the apps issue?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post