Focal Point
[CLOSED] Pass User Name to External URL

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6767052176

June 18, 2014, 06:53 PM
Santhosh
[CLOSED] Pass User Name to External URL
Hi All,

We have a report designed using HTML Composer. We have a command button and when the user clicks on this button it will take them to an external application. We achieved this by giving that application URL in the Hyperlink properties.

Now this application expects the user name. We have that as part of the report, but I am not sure how to pass this value to external application. Is it possible to concatenate the user name along with the URL? Or is there some other way to achieve this.

Before accessing the reports, the user would required to login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Santhosh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.0.03
Unix
HTML, Excel and PDF
June 19, 2014, 06:26 AM
Ram Prasad E
First you need to integrate report fex and html page into singe file(using HTMFORM) and append the user id value to the URL by issueing IBI.AMP.USER_ID.

Thanks,
Ram

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows
http://ibiwebfocus.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ibi.webfocus/
June 19, 2014, 08:36 AM
Bob171
Hello Santhosh,

With regards to the external application that the user initiates through the URL, I would like to know how it operates. For instance, are there other instances when the user enters their name directly (and if so, is there a password also). It seems that you would like the HTML entry point to handle security and you need to propagate that security to the external URL.

Thanks,
Bob

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows, All Outputs
June 19, 2014, 12:50 PM
Santhosh
Hi Bob,

Its not related to security. Basically in that external application we need to capture the user name into a table.

To get into the BI Portal there is an authentication page. From the portal they can access the reports. And from the reports they can move to an external Java web application.

Thanks,
Santhosh

quote:
Originally posted by Bob171:
Hello Santhosh,

With regards to the external application that the user initiates through the URL, I would like to know how it operates. For instance, are there other instances when the user enters their name directly (and if so, is there a password also). It seems that you would like the HTML entry point to handle security and you need to propagate that security to the external URL.

Thanks,
Bob

WebFOCUS 8.0.03
Unix
HTML, Excel and PDF
June 19, 2014, 12:53 PM
Santhosh
Hi Ram,

I tried like this:

[url]http://localhostRazzerort/Application?userName=&IBIMR_User'[/url]

But that didnt work. Let me try the option what you have posted.

But I am not sure about one of your point. You mentioned that we need to integrate report fex and HTML into single file.

I am not clear with that and could you please explain it.

Thanks,
Santhosh

quote:
Originally posted by Ram Prasad E:
First you need to integrate report fex and html page into singe file(using HTMFORM) and append the user id value to the URL by issueing IBI.AMP.USER_ID.

Thanks,
Ram

WebFOCUS 8.0.03
Unix
HTML, Excel and PDF
June 20, 2014, 10:22 AM
Anatess
If you want to add & vars to HTML code, you have to save that HTML code as a fex.

This is what you can do:
Create a new fex with this:

-HTMLFORM BEGIN

<Copy-paste the HTML code from the HTML Layout Painter here>

-HTMLFORM END

Now, all the & are going to be replaced with values before the html is run. Note that the fex will now treat all & as vars... like & nbsp would now be a var... and the automprompt facility will ask you for a value for it. So, you'll have to escape that in the fex... make sense?

WF 8.1.05 Windows
June 20, 2014, 06:40 PM
Santhosh
Hi Anatess,

Got your point.

It does make sense. I will try this out.

Thanks a lot for your solution.

Thanks,
Santhosh

quote:
Originally posted by Anatess:
If you want to add & vars to HTML code, you have to save that HTML code as a fex.

This is what you can do:
Create a new fex with this:

-HTMLFORM BEGIN

<Copy-paste the HTML code from the HTML Layout Painter here>

-HTMLFORM END

Now, all the & are going to be replaced with values before the html is run. Note that the fex will now treat all & as vars... like & nbsp would now be a var... and the automprompt facility will ask you for a value for it. So, you'll have to escape that in the fex... make sense?

WebFOCUS 8.0.03
Unix
HTML, Excel and PDF