Focal Point
[CLOSED] Input file as excel file as source data

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6777018695

January 12, 2011, 06:37 AM
Deepu
[CLOSED] Input file as excel file as source data
Hi

I have a excel file in my local drive G:\xyz\source_data.xls,
I want to retrieve the source data excel file in fex file with creating master file,

can anyone help me.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
January 12, 2011, 07:37 AM
GamP
1. the excel file has to be accessible by the reporting server.
2. a name must be defined in the excel sheet that defines the area (cells) that will be available for reporting.
3. a windows odbc connection must be made for a system dsn which point to the excel sheet and the name defined in the previous step within the sheet.
4. a connection must be defined between the reporting server and the odbc connection created in step 3.
Once these steps are completed, you can create a master file and start reporting from the excel sheet.

Hope this helps to get you going.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
January 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
Francis Mariani
Or, use Developer Studio to upload the Excel spreadsheet.

Dev Studio Explorer > Data Servers > Applications > app-name > Master Files. Right Click and select New > Upload Data File. You can upload an Excel spreadsheet, a comma, tab or pipe-delimited file and select other options. This uploads the file and also generates a Master. It works wonderfully for smaller files. If the file is very large, create a smaller version and upload that file using the tool, Afterward, manually upload the real file.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
January 13, 2011, 06:04 AM
Deepu
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
Or, use Developer Studio to upload the Excel spreadsheet.

Dev Studio Explorer > Data Servers > Applications > app-name > Master Files. Right Click and select New > Upload Data File. You can upload an Excel spreadsheet, a comma, tab or pipe-delimited file and select other options. This uploads the file and also generates a Master. It works wonderfully for smaller files. If the file is very large, create a smaller version and upload that file using the tool, Afterward, manually upload the real file.

sorry..
i need to pull the data from excel without creating maseter file

how can i do this ..can help me

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
January 13, 2011, 06:48 AM
<JG>
quote:
i need to pull the data from excel without creating maseter file

This is 100% not possible.

To read any data source with WebFOCUS you must have a master file.

In the case of Excel, as has been said

you must first assign a data range in the excel.
you must then set it up as an ODBC source.
you must then create the master.
January 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
jgelona
JG is correct. There will be a master, even if it is generic. Here's another way to do it.

I have a couple of jobs where I have to do this. First I save the data as a tab delimited file. Then I upload the .txt file to the Reporting Server. I have a generic master that looks like this:
FILE=TABTEXT, SUFFIX=FIX, $
SEGNAME=SEG1 ,$
  FIELD=LDATA,,A240,A240, $

Then my program looks like this:
 FILEDEF TABTEXT DISK &TMPDIR..exceldata.txt ( LRECL 240 RECFM V
 DEFINE FILE TABTEXT
   TAB/A1=HEXBYT(9,'A1');
   AROWID/A4=GETTOK(LDATA,240,1,TAB,4,AROWID);
   ROWID/I4S=EDIT(AROWID);
   WCHFN1/A25=GETTOK(LDATA,240,3,TAB,25,'A25');
   CHFNM1/A2=UPCASE(2,EDIT(WCHFN1,'99'),'A2');
   WCHFN2/A25=GETTOK(LDATA,240,4,TAB,25,'A25');
   CHFNM2/A2=UPCASE(2,EDIT(WCHFN2,'99'),'A2');
END
TABLEF FILE TABTEXT
 PRINT ROWID CHFNM1 CHFNM2 ...
    ON TABLE HOLD
END

It is a manual effort but it works.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.