Focal Point
DS HTML Composter - Annoying behaviour?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6797086016

October 05, 2011, 11:33 AM
Francis Mariani
DS HTML Composter - Annoying behaviour?
Should I be annoyed by the following behaviour of HTML Composer:

You add a bunch of different types of controls to the page. You set up default values, add multiple static values to drop-down boxes etc.

Then you point the Submit button to report, assigning parameters to the existing controls. All the defaults and static values that you previously added are thrown away - you end up with empty controls.

Should I be annoyed by this behaviour? Because I am.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
October 05, 2011, 11:47 AM
njsden
You have to think "backwards" ... first create the report code, add it to the page and let the GUI create the all controls for each &variable in finds.

Then you style, assign defaults, list values and what not ...

The suffering does not end there of course as you've already found out Roll Eyes

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.
October 05, 2011, 11:52 AM
Francis Mariani
What I find amazing and disappointing is that you really have only one shot at making your form work - the first time when you build it. Afterwards, changes are extremely difficult to do. Change parameter names, add new parameters, change the design - all these actions can be very hit and miss.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
October 05, 2011, 11:57 AM
Francis Mariani
Here's another one. I like naming my controls and parameters the same so that they're easier to pair up. This seems to work without issues for all the control types I've used so far - except sliders.

Sliders are made up of 5 components, though only one is bound to a parameter - the others are there for the mechanics of a slider.

main control id: slider1
left arrow id: slider1_downarrow
etc.

I tried changing the id of the main control to the parameter it is bound to, and the screen stopped working. It appears that you must change the names of all 5 components if you want the screen to work.

Francis

October 05, 2011, 12:00 PM
njsden
Oh brother! Roll Eyes

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
October 05, 2011, 12:12 PM
Francis Mariani
An intelligent GUI would change the prefix of these components that make up the control.

Francis

October 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
Francis Mariani
ARGH!

Francis

October 13, 2011, 12:32 PM
N.Selph
quote:

What I find amazing and disappointing is that you really have only one shot at making your form work - the first time when you build it.

When Francis said that - all of a sudden I feel a bit better! I have never gotten a form to work, because I always try to tweek it later, and can't make it do what I want it to. I was wondering how everyone else is able to use this tool, and I can't.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)
October 13, 2011, 11:22 PM
Francis Mariani
I spent hours today in HTML Composer redoing a pile of work because I *may* have inadvertently pointed the submit button to the wrong report. While re-pointing the submit button to a fex, when the parameters are assigned to existing controls - all the characteristics disappear - static values added to drop-down lists gone; dynamic external fexes assigned to load drop-down lists gone; radio button values gone...

Francis

October 14, 2011, 12:07 AM
njsden
As Waz wisely said ... HTML Composter! Roll Eyes