Focal Point
Mailing Labels with LABELPROMPT=ON causes endless loop

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6801004961

May 25, 2006, 05:19 PM
Francis Mariani
Mailing Labels with LABELPROMPT=ON causes endless loop
Here's a quick self-service program using the CAR file to create labels:

SET ONLINE-FMT = PDF
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
BY MODEL NOPRINT PAGE-BREAK

HEADING
"<MODEL"
"<CAR"
"<COUNTRY"
"<DEALER_COST <RETAIL_COST"

ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOPAGE

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, PAGESIZE=LETTER, LEFTMARGIN=0.3, TOPMARGIN=0.3,
PAGEMATRIX=(2 5), ELEMENT=(4 1), GUTTER=(0.2 0), 
MATRIXORDER=HORIZONTAL, LABELPROMPT=ON, $

TYPE=REPORT, FONT=ARIAL, SIZE=9, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

With LABELPROMPT=OFF, this program works, with LABELPROMPT=ON, it goes into an endless loop and I have to kill the agent on the server console.

Has anyone successfully made LABELPROMPT=ON work? I am curious as to how does the user get prompted?

What I would like to do is to supply the row and column number at which to start printing, this I would gather in an HTML form myself - I do not want a prompt screen being displayed. But since I can't get this to work, the point is moot.

Curiously, there appears to be no tech support cases regarding this problem.

Thsnks,

Francis.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
May 29, 2006, 05:43 AM
<JG>
Francis this is actually an old problem.
LABELPROMPT=ON does not work via a browser session according to the cases that I've seen.

The method that has been suggested in the past to do what you want is to hold the labels in a Focus database and insert the required number of blank labels to pad the matrix out.
May 29, 2006, 10:26 AM
Francis Mariani
JG, thanks, that is exactly what I did - I created a hold file with empty rows that I append to the real data hold file.

It's pretty odd that the WebFOCUS documentation contains this if it's a Mainframe-only option.

I couldn't find any cases in Tech Support that dealt with this issue.

Cheers,

Francis.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
May 29, 2006, 12:22 PM
<JG>
The problem with tech support is it depends who's doing the looking.
Customers do not have unrestricted access to all cases, some are restricted
to IB personnel only.

It’s not really WebFocus that does not understand LABELPROMPT.
The WebFocus server knows exactly what to do. It’s the WebFocus Client that cannot manage the interactive part.

Your request is not actually in a loop it’s waiting for your input values for row and column. Unfortunately you have no way to supply them.

Try running your focexec from an edatstart –t session and you will see exactly what I mean.
May 29, 2006, 01:29 PM
Francis Mariani
Ah, I see. Has been fixed in WF 7?

Francis

May 29, 2006, 02:19 PM
<JG>
Nope. not working in 713