Focal Point
[Closed]Performance in meta data

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6817041236

July 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Tim P.
[Closed]Performance in meta data
Hey guys:
I was putting together some meta data in webfocus. As I am not sure how WF manages the meta data, is there a performance hit if you join a table in one database (oracle) to another table in another database (MSSQL)?

I know you can join any table from any type of database in WF, assuming you have the correct adapter but when you do that there is a performance hit. I wasn't sure if this was the same in the meta data.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tim P.,

WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.02
Windows 7, All Outputs
July 11, 2013, 04:09 PM
Francis Mariani
The "meta-data join" will be be done only when a TABLE FILE is executed.

As far as I know, the join will be done internally, meaning the data from Oracle will be retrieved and stored in a temporary file, then the data from MS SQL Server will be retrieved and stored in a temporary file, then a WebFOCUS join will be performed. This is definitely not optimal performance but I can't think of another way to do it.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
July 11, 2013, 05:16 PM
Doug
With that (Francis Mariani's post of 16:09) being true, consider extracting the required data (based on WHERE statements) from each file and HOLDing the results then doing the JOIN. This way the entire table will not "be retrieved and stored in a temporary file".
July 11, 2013, 06:35 PM
Waz
Ditto with Doug.

If they are large tables its probably a good thing to so.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

July 12, 2013, 08:05 AM
Tim P.
I figured this was probably the case. I have another way of doing it without doing it in the meta data but i figured i'd give it a try and see how it worked.

Thanks for the help!

WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.02
Windows 7, All Outputs