Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     MRE and RCaster prompt for different set of parameters

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
MRE and RCaster prompt for different set of parameters
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
FOCUS prompts for values to assign D/M &vars that are not explicitly evaluated. This is the source of MRE'sparameter promts on a dynamic Launch Page and in RCaster's Schedule-Task parameter list.

I have noticed that for the same *.fex, RCaster sometimes prompts for a larger list of parameters than MRE. This seems to happen when the *.fex incorporates INCLUDEd code that -SETs &vars and &&vars.

I think MRE scans the INCLUDEd *.fex and RCaster does not. Thus, MRE finds the all the -SETing of D/M variables and omits prompting for their initial values, while R/C, in omitting the scan of the INCLUDEd code, not see these same -SET statements and generates an unneeded prompt for an initial value.

Have others seen this behavior?
How can I avoid having RCaster prompt for D/M variables '-SET' by INCLUDEd code?
I've resorted to -SETing them to dummy values just before D/M encounters the INCLUDE statement, but this seems like a 'hack' not a solution.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
chris, what version/s platforms are you in?
How about -DEFAULTing the values before the -INCLUDE is encountered? Then caster would prompt for them.
...hang on... i'm rethinking that...caster might not display a value slot for a defaulted variable if it never encounters a use of it...and it won't encounter the use, because it doesn't perform the -include till run time...which we know.
...hmmm. Can you try it and report back?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Suzanna,

-SETing the D/M &VARS evaluated within the sub-process to a dummy value immediately before invoking the sub-process has no effect on MRE's prompts, and keeps RCaster from prompting for them.

Replacing -SET with -DEFAULT again has no effect on MRE's prompts, but causes RCaster to include the &VARS in the Task's parameter list ... but with the -DEFAULT values alredy inserted as 'suggested'(?) evaluations in the righthand column.

I used the term "sub-process", because the behavior is the same whether the subordinate process is incorporated with EXEC or -INCLUDE.

This behavior was not an issue until we pushed schedule creation and maintenance from the IT group out to the users. The first schedule they tried to make had our 'techie' parameters in the task's list and they didn't know what values to give them!

Chris.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post