Focal Point
[SOLVED] Need help with SQLMSS SQL Passthru - getting no data

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6877008036

May 14, 2013, 10:25 AM
J.Hines
[SOLVED] Need help with SQLMSS SQL Passthru - getting no data
This is my first time trying SQL Passthru, so I'm sure I'm not doing something right, but in all the documentation and forums I've read in the past two days, I didn't find a complete walkthrough, so maybe the solution to this question can be it!

WebFOCUS 7.7.0.3.
I have my server adapters already set up in the server console, so I'm just trying to write a small procedure to make sure the Passthru is working. Here's my code. Currently it runs without errors, but just gives me "EDA No Data" although there is data in the table (yes, I'm sure):

SQL SQLMSS SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION ICR_DEV

-RUN
SQL SQLMSS PREPARE SQLOUT FOR
	SELECT RECORD_ID, OWNER
	FROM T_ICR_STAGING
;
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
END
-RUN 

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J.Hines,

Prod: 8.2.0.4 OS:Windows 10 Output:AHTML, Excel 2007+

The life of a designer is a life of fight against the ugliness.
May 14, 2013, 10:40 AM
J.Hines
It would figure that right after I publicly ask for help, I figure it out on my own!

I found out that I can create a SQL Passthru procedure by creating a new procedure and using the SQL Report Wizard (did I mention I still have a lot to learn?). Then I just picked my connection, wrote my query, and then looked at the code afterwards.

For anyone else who's wondering, here's the final code (as I thought, just a few things different, but that's what makes all the difference in code!)
 ENGINE SQLMSS SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION ICR_DEV
SELECT RECORD_ID, APPROVER
FROM T_ICR_STAGING
END
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT 
     RECORD_ID
     APPROVER
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

May 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
J.Hines
Well, this is very interesting. I knew WebFOCUS was picky about case, but not about whitespace!

The following code does not work:
	FROM T_ICR_STAGING
END 

But just removing that tab in front of SELECT allows it to work! Who woulda thunk?
	FROM T_ICR_STAGING
END 

Spaces are okay, just can't hit the tab key on the keyboard before the select, or it gives the following error:
   0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE      7  IN PROCEDURE sql_passthru_test
 (FOC205) THE DESCRIPTION CANNOT BE FOUND FOR FILE NAMED: SQLOUT
 BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND

May 14, 2013, 05:55 PM
Waz
Congradulations for solving this your self.

Funny how tab chars can cause problems, as its allowed to be entered in Developer Studio.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

May 15, 2013, 09:41 AM
Francis Mariani
I never use tabs in any of my program code. The tabs are rendered differently depending on which text editor you open the program in, sometimes two spaces, sometimes 4...

I prefer to modify the Dev Studio (and EditPlus) Editor Options to "Insert spaces" when pressing Tab.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
May 15, 2013, 05:44 PM
Waz
I have done the same with Edit Plus

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!