Focal Point
Migrate SQL Server IBI Repository

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6891043592

August 13, 2008, 05:39 AM
Jinx
Migrate SQL Server IBI Repository
Hi,

MSDB is damanged on our SQL Server and we therefore need to move the IBI Repositiry database (BOTLOG BOTSHED etc tables) to a new server. I have read through the basics of DataMigrator tool - but am unsure as to whether this is something I would use to perform the task - or could it be that I just need to move the database and then 'point' webfocus/reportcaster at this new location. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
DevStudio/Webfocus/Focus IBM
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2
August 13, 2008, 06:07 AM
hammo1j
If you know how and it's easy, just move the database and update the caster settings. This will definitely work as I did similar when upgrading to 76.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
August 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
Jinx
Moving the database is not the problem, it's finding the correct settings within Report Caster.

I am currently reading a document about Context Factory within the Report Caster Server config, but there seems little detail as to how one goes about changing these settings - currently they are all blank, which I assume is the default..?

Is there some sort of document/manual available that explains in detail which settings to change?

Thanks.

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2
August 13, 2008, 10:02 AM
GinnyJakes
Are the data in the original RC tables good? That is where the RC configuration is stored as well as the schedules. Boy, I hope you didn't lose all of your schedules as well.

I would not use Data Migrator to move the data. I would use the migrate facility documented in the WebFOCUS installation manual. Even though it is written for doing upgrades, it works for moving to a new platform.

If your orginal tables are toast, maybe you can restore from a backup. I would also open a case and enlist IBI's support in this effort.

I would also recommend for the future that you take screen prints (using a tool like SnagIt) of your RC configuration screens. This will help when it is time to upgrade and you need to re-install RC. And it would be useful now if you needed to reconfigure.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
August 13, 2008, 11:01 AM
Jinx
The tables are all fine - reportcaster is working 100%, it's just scheduling and dts that have completely fallen over, as well as views giving errors..that I have found so far. Thanks for the help I will have a look at the installation guide.

Jinx.

Windows
HTML, PDF, Excel etc
SQL Server 2000 / 2008
DB2