Focal Point
Source Control Question

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6911001802

January 18, 2007, 05:51 PM
ETLProg
Source Control Question
Hello all!

I’ve got a question how some of you handle source control; specifically deployment. I’ve figured out (first time using this) how to check files in and out using Vault as the source control software. Lets say I have fex in development (server) that is ready to go to production (server); I checked it out of Vault made the changes and checked it back in. How do the update the fex in production? Do I use “get latest version” in production and it updates from the fex I checked in form dev if they have the same href?

All replies are appreciated!

Dev 7.1.4 WinNT SQL Server 2005 DB
Prod 7.1.4 WinNT SQL Server 2000 DB
January 22, 2007, 04:50 PM
Kerry
Hi ETLProg,

Here is suggestion from one of our internal experts:

This is not a WebFOCUS question. This response can vary depending on the policies in place for the company with which the user works for. Normally how source control is used in a Production/Development environment is that, all files are checked into a central Source Control repository. Then while working on Development, all files are checked out and worked on. Once complete and checked in, and ready for Production, the files are moved to Production. If a file needs to be worked on again, it will be checked out from Development, checked in when complete, then moved to Production, which overwrites the previous Production file. Things should never be worked on in a Production environment.

Hope this sheds some light. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.