Focal Point
[CLOSED] Can you use a master file on a different server?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7097038036

May 15, 2013, 05:15 PM
ok
[CLOSED] Can you use a master file on a different server?
Is it possible to use a master file that resides in a different server (within the same environment) on a report? How would this be achieved?

Long story short, a master file had to be moved to a different server but lots of reports in the old server rely on it so I have to figure out the best means of remediation. I was hoping it would be possible to just modify the reports to look to the other server.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
May 15, 2013, 05:52 PM
Waz
Can you APP MAP to it ?

Create a new mapping and add it to the APP PATH.

This solution requires the remote directory to be shared.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

May 16, 2013, 06:56 AM
Alex
Is there some reason why you can't have a copy of the master file on both servers?

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF
May 16, 2013, 09:29 AM
ok
Alex - I think I may have mis-explained. There's a .foc database in the master file folder. It has a master file associated with it. I'll call this server B.

In server A I would like to have reports use the .foc database that resides on server B. Can I create a master file on server A or something else to point to the .foc database on server B?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ok,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
May 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
eric.woerle
You can add a second reporting server to the client and then change the properties on the fex to use the other reporting server.

Is something like that what you are looking to do?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2
May 16, 2013, 11:02 AM
ok
quote:
Originally posted by eric.woerle:
You can add a second reporting server to the client and then change the properties on the fex to use the other reporting server.

Is something like that what you are looking to do?

Possibly. Would that mean the reports could use master files from both servers?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
May 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
susannah
copy the master back onto your original server, making sure your fex puts its app into its APP PATH.
then address the moved database within your USE statement
USE
\\newservername\whatever\myfile.foc AS MYFILE.FOC
END
that should work, as long as server A has rights to read server B

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
May 16, 2013, 11:23 AM
eric.woerle
if you were to add a second reporting server to the client, I believe a report could only read from one server. If you were to do what Susannah is suggesting, I believe you would be able to use files from both servers in one report.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2
May 16, 2013, 12:42 PM
Alex
If you set up a HUB/Sub relationship with the second server you can create a local master file that would have a SUFFIX=EDA. The report will run on the Sub Server with the answer set served back to the Hub.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF
May 16, 2013, 03:17 PM
ok
quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
copy the master back onto your original server, making sure your fex puts its app into its APP PATH.
then address the moved database within your USE statement
USE
\\newservername\whatever\myfile.foc AS MYFILE.FOC
END
that should work, as long as server A has rights to read server B

Hi Susannah,
I copied the master back to the original server
The app path thing I'm not sure if I follow. Can you elaborate?

I put the USE statement on a report and get an error saying no data is found.

USE '\\Servername\Applications\folder\Master Files\originalfile.foc' AS newfile.foc  

(example)

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 1 IN PROCEDURE test
(FOC036) NO DATA FOUND FOR THE FOCUS FILE NAMED:

Does that mean anything?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
May 16, 2013, 03:24 PM
susannah
well, you have to use your servername, get someone in your IT group to help you figure out the syntax that works in your environment

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
May 16, 2013, 03:41 PM
ok
quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
well, you have to use your servername, get someone in your IT group to help you figure out the syntax that works in your environment

I was using my server name, I replaced it with "servername" as the example because I didn't figure it was necessary to share the actual name
Thanks

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
May 16, 2013, 06:03 PM
Waz
As mentioned, just APP MAP the folder and use it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!