Focal Point
[SOLVED]Wildcard issues in WebFocus 8

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7127023386

August 05, 2016, 12:46 PM
Clint Coffey
[SOLVED]Wildcard issues in WebFocus 8
I'm trying to use a wildcard in a parameter where statement and have noticed that $* does not return strings that begin with a number. Here's what I'm trying to use:

WHERE ( Z_WHATEVER.WHATEVER EQ '&WHATEVER.(,<1,BK$*>,<2,CB$*>,<3,FP$*>,<4,SCP$*>,<5,S$*>).WHATEVER.' );

The parameter filters correctly when choosing 1-5 but when I choose all, it omits fields that start with a numeric character. Have wildcards changed in WF8? or is there another wildcard for both alpha and numeric?

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Running WebFocus 8
August 08, 2016, 08:59 AM
Francis Mariani
What do you mean by "when I choose all..."?

Please illustrate your problem with code that we can run.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
WHERE MODEL EQ  '2$*'
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
August 08, 2016, 11:46 AM
Tony A
Do you mean, "the first option in your amper autoprompting list"? (notice the leading comma which effectively gives a "blank" value).

If so then I would suggest that you change your code to -
WHERE ( Z_WHATEVER.WHATEVER EQ '&WHATEVER.(<All values,_FOC_NULL>,<1,BK$*>,<2,CB$*>,<3,FP$*>,<4,SCP$*>,<5,S$*>).WHATEVER.' );

If not then, as Francis suggests, give an example using one of the sample tables, so that we can see what you mean.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
August 08, 2016, 01:16 PM
Clint Coffey
Thanks guys,

_FOC_NULL worked. I was under the impression that using _FOC_NULL nullified whatever was in that WHERE statement but maybe that is something that was actually fixed in WF8.

Thanks again

Running WebFocus 8
August 08, 2016, 01:20 PM
Francis Mariani
_FOC_NULL makes the WHERE statement invisible to the WebFOCUS parser, the behaviour hasn't changed.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server