Focal Point
[SOLVED] ReportCaster PDF file corruption

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7207073036

April 23, 2013, 11:02 AM
Tim P.
[SOLVED] ReportCaster PDF file corruption
Hey guys:
I am having an issue getting reportcaster to output a report in pdf format. The report itself runs in both html and pdf formats when run through dev studio or in a dashboard.

However, when i take this same report and try to run it through reportcaster with an ouput format of pdf, adobe reader attempts to open it but says the file is either "not a supported file type or it has been damaged".

I've heard this can be caused by a different adobe reader version on the server vs on the local machine. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tim P.,

WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.02
Windows 7, All Outputs
April 23, 2013, 11:29 AM
Wep5622
Is the file really in PDF format? Try opening it with a text editor.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :
April 23, 2013, 11:33 AM
Francis Mariani
Try running the report in HTML format in ReportCaster - just to see if it works in RC...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
April 23, 2013, 11:35 AM
Tim P.
Windows says it is a pdf format file (.pdf).

I did try to open it with a text editor and I just get some html code, which come to think of it might be the issue. I'm still diving into it.

I tried html format as well Francis. The output just produced a blank html page.

Windows 7, All Outputs
April 23, 2013, 11:54 AM
Tim P.
I solved it:
We do a lot of reporting with variable formats using &WFFMT. What i failed to realize was that if you have a default &WFFMT of say 'html' and try to get reportcaster to output that in a pdf format using the dropdown box, it won't work.

However if you change that default to 'pdf' in the report caster parameter section, it works perfect. I assumed reportcaster would automatically change the format based on the drop down menu selection you chose to what it needed to be regardless of the default. Silly me for assuming I guess.

Thanks for the help!

Windows 7, All Outputs