Focal Point
Passing credentials through a WebFOCUS Web Service

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7211001242

August 15, 2007, 05:17 PM
<JimW>
Passing credentials through a WebFOCUS Web Service
When using a query string to run WebFOCUS reports, it's possible to pass a variable and value in the URL that can be decoded into a User Id and Password on the report server for authentication, like &APPNAME=SOMEVALUETODECODE.

I am wondering if there is some way to do the same thing when using a WebFOCUS Web Service...

The only way I have found is to explicitly pass the User Id and Password using the WebFOCUSLogOn function. But this requires that a User Id and Password be maintained on the client side (stored encrypted and then decrypted for the function call).

Regards,

Jim Woods
August 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
Efrem
There is another way to authenticate without running WebFocusLogOn. The result of WebFocusLogOn sets an object called LogOnInfo.
This object can be set with the Userids and Passwords and setting doSignon = true in this object. By doing this, any function run will authenticate with the credentials supplied in LogOnInfo before performing the function that it is being used in. Chapter 3 of the WebFOCUS Web Services manual documents the usage of the the LogOnInfo object.
August 16, 2007, 05:56 PM
<JimW>
Thanks for the reply Efrem.

It appears that setting LogOnInfo still requires a User Id and Password from the client...

What we're looking for is the ability to do decoding of a User Id and Password on the reporting server by passing a variable and a value, as in the query string example in the original post.
September 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
Efrem
Hi Jim,

I don't think I understand fully what you're asking. Can you explain in detail what happens when you pass this value to decode in a URL. How is this value getting decoded and what is the Userid and Password being used for post the decode. Are you calling a FEX to do the decode in the original request?