Focal Point
save the output

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7241048331

March 25, 2005, 05:01 AM
<Happy_sing>
save the output
hellow all:
I want that to add a button on the page, when users click it,will show a dialog box to ask them that open the output or save it in their disk.
how can i do?
does webfocus support this work?

p.s the output is file.xls (EXL2K)

thanks for any suggetion! Smiler
March 27, 2005, 12:54 PM
<JG>
Happy_sing, The problem is not with WebFocus, it is with IE. Microsoft believe that everything downloaded to a browser potentially belongs to them, and so when they interoperate the document they first check to see if it is a format they can control.

WebFocus actually generates EXL2K documents as XHT (Extended HTML) and because WebFocus uses a redirect in its mime processing IE assumes that they are EXCEL documents. WebFocus cannot change this. However a potential solution is to use the technique from the following link.

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.a...CodeId=2183&lngWId=2

I must be very honest I do not know enough about it to say if it will deliver what you want, and it requires a large degree of JSP ability.

To make it work however you must save your report to a permanent location.

Other alternatives for your problem present themselves, either Report Caster, deferred reporting or using Report Library. If you are a MRE house , deferred would be the obvious choice.
March 28, 2005, 07:51 AM
<Happy_sing>
Thank you so much ,JG Smiler
I will try your suggestion ~
March 28, 2005, 02:34 PM
Denver RSE
Happy_sing,

As mentioned above, this is not a WebFOCUS issue. On Windows machines, this is an individual configuration of the OS.

Try this (assuming you're on Windows):

Go to Start --> Control Panel --> Folder Options
Click the tab called File Types
Find the file type XLS and click Advanced
There, under New or Open, place a checkmark under "Confirm open after download"

Doing this will always prompt the user on what to do when the browser tries to receive an XLS file.