Focal Point
[SOLVED] Install Developer studio 7 and 8 on same machine

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7247076276

September 15, 2014, 10:46 AM
eric.woerle
[SOLVED] Install Developer studio 7 and 8 on same machine
I have a short time frame where I need to have both Dev Studio 7 and 8 on the same machine. Has anyone been able to run both without using a virtual machine? I thought I had seen some people who did this on the forum a while back, but I can't seem to find the thread anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eric.woerle,

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2
September 16, 2014, 08:11 AM
R.Bright
Eric,

All you need to do is install both versions in the same IBI directory and run c:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin\thisfoci.bat to register the DLLs for DevStudio 8 when needed and c:\ibi\DevStudio7x\bin\thisfoci.bat to register the DLLs for DevStudio 7 when needed.

Robert Bright

Owner, Sr. Business Intelligence Consultant
Bright Ideas Consulting
brightideasbiconsulting@gmail.com
September 16, 2014, 08:23 AM
Rifaz
Eric,

You meant to run multiple DevStudio versions on the same machine at the same time? If so, that is not possible.

But, you can have both 7 and 8, run one at time. Its preferred to install 8 first. Also, you might to rename the localhost,need to run thisfoci.bat file when switching between the DS.

How to have multiple DevStudio installations WF7703, WF80

I'll try to help you if you face any issues.

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x
September 16, 2014, 10:03 AM
Francis Mariani
We've determined that you need to run thisfoci.bat as Administrator.

This is what I've done:

Create shortcuts for C:\ibi\DevStudio7705\bin\thisfoci.bat and C:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin\thisfoci.bat

Get the properties for these two shortcuts and set them to "Run as administrator" (Properties > Shortcut > Advanced... > Run as administrator.

Pin the two shortcuts to the Windows Start bar.

When I want to switch between Dev Studio versions, I run the appropriate bat file then launch Dev Studio.

Meanwhile, I did have a heck of a time installing Dev Studio 8.0.08. One of my colleagues suggested something that worked: install App Studio first, then Dev Studio. In this way, Tomcat and Derby are installed and ready for the Dev Studio install. Somehow my localhost is all messed up.

You really do need App Studio because running Dev Studio 7.x and App Studio 8.x concurrently is the only way to access the code of each environment at the same time. I have absolutely no clue how one would transfer individual Managed Reporting files from 7 to 8.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
September 16, 2014, 10:44 AM
eric.woerle
Thanks Everyone!

Running the thisfoci.bat did it. I actually have both installed in 2 different directories (2 different drives actually). No issues yet with this.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2
September 16, 2014, 12:18 PM
Rifaz
quote:
I have absolutely no clue how one would transfer individual Managed Reporting files from 7 to 8.

Francis, I think, we can create a environment to WebFOCUS 7.x from DS/AS 8. Can't we?

quote:
I actually have both installed in 2 different directories (2 different drives actually). No issues yet with this.

Yes, it will create the registries in that way.So, no surprises.

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x
September 16, 2014, 01:28 PM
Francis Mariani
DS 7 cannot access WF 8 environments and DS 8/AS 8 cannot access WF 7 environments.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
September 17, 2014, 12:48 PM
eric.woerle
Francis,

The migration tool provided in WF8 should migrate user content as well. Have you used that tool?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2
September 17, 2014, 04:29 PM
Francis Mariani
I'm not the one that migrated our code so I may be wrong, but as far as I know, the migration tool migrates everything - you have no way to pick and choose.

Francis

September 17, 2014, 06:10 PM
eric.woerle
That is correct, it migrates everything. Which I believe is why the suggest migrating to a sandbox, and then into your Dev, or wherever your final destination is. I migrated directly into Dev, but I re-organized the MR, so it wasn't an issue for me. If you need to migrate stuff from PROD, I would recommend setting up a migration/sandbox environment to do so and then using CM to move it. But thats just how I would do it.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2
September 17, 2014, 11:50 PM
Rifaz
As per IBI, you can use workarounds like moving the file to a reporting server & then switch to 8, copy the files wherever they needed or create CM packages to move MR files.

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x
September 18, 2014, 09:44 AM
j.gross
quote:
We've determined that you need to run thisfoci.bat as Administrator.

Not true. Suffice it to say, there are products on the market that can enable users (such as WebFOCUS application developers) to manage without plenary local admin rights.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05
September 18, 2014, 10:53 AM
Francis Mariani
I don't have a clue about "plenary local admin rights"...

Meanwhile, what a bunch of lousy workarounds to copy code from one version to another. post-migration.

It seems ridiculous to me that it is assumed that all work stops when a migration occurs.

I'm busy doing new work on WF 7 and also remedying code in WF 8. Then I have to update WF 8 with my WF 7 code.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

September 18, 2014, 11:01 AM
j.gross
A separate VM may be a better option.
September 18, 2014, 03:17 PM
Francis Mariani
Documentation: How to have multiple DevStudio installations WF7703, WF80

quote:
When switching between multiple versions of Developer Studio, it is necessary
to run a utility called thisfoci.bat, which is available in the \bin folder of
the version you will be using. This is needed to ensure that the required
files from the release you will be using are registered. On Windows 7 machines,
right-click thisfoci.bat and click Run as administrator.

Francis