Focal Point
How do u prompt "save as" with a dbf file???

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7401024251

February 03, 2006, 05:48 PM
Alanocturna
How do u prompt "save as" with a dbf file???
I like to do that when I'm clicking in a button run the procedure and prompt save as ...

Thanks
February 04, 2006, 12:44 PM
<JG>
I assume that you are refering to a DABSE file that you want to save to the client.

Normally using PCHOLD INSTEAD of HOLD would allow you to save the file to the
client and not the server.
However for DBASE (actually all database formats) PCHOLD is not an option that is available.

That leaves two ways.
Either chose a DATA FILE format that allows PCHOLD such as ALPHA, COM, COMT, TAB, TABT.

OR use HOLD and then use an HTMLFORM to display a URL linking to the file.
This requires holding the file to a permanent location that the Web server can access.
February 04, 2006, 08:12 PM
Alanocturna
Thank u Paltinum the second option was the best

quote:
Originally posted by JG:
I assume that you are refering to a DABSE file that you want to save to the client.

Normally using PCHOLD INSTEAD of HOLD would allow you to save the file to the
client and not the server.
However for DBASE (actually all database formats) PCHOLD is not an option that is available.

That leaves two ways.
Either chose a DATA FILE format that allows PCHOLD such as ALPHA, COM, COMT, TAB, TABT.

OR use HOLD and then use an HTMLFORM to display a URL linking to the file.
This requires holding the file to a permanent location that the Web server can access.

February 06, 2006, 11:36 AM
EJL
In general whether a user is prompted or the file opened automatically when a URL is clicked on is controlled by the client browser's settings for the specified MIME type.

That said, a .dbf file type will likely work as expected on most clients. Just don't expect the same behavior from every file type and don't be too surprised if you find some oddball. Being client dependant means you can't ever be sure and there's always one goofy one out there.